1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL investigates Packers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Was it the Cowboys or the Buddy Ryan Eagles? I thought it was the Eagles. Wasn't that bandied about when Andre Waters died?

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

"Coach, I want that hundred dollars."

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I agree with you guys, it's not as though a reward was offered to hurt Peterson.
    But that begs to the other point - you need rewarded for doing your job in the first place?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For a majority of pro-athletes, football in particular, it's all about the money. Challenge someone, and put money behind it, and they'll get fired up. I easily believe players give each other incentives like this. It's also a waste of time for the NFL to be looking into this particular situation.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It goes along the lines of incentive clauses in contracts ... for making the All-Star team, having a certain amount of at-bats, etc.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If players are paying players, it merely redistributing the money being awarded under the salary cap.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

NFL is taking no action: http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=11/26/2007&id=32247

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was Buddy Ryan's Eagles, too. This definitely came up with Jerry Glanville's Oilers. I can still picture Chuck Noll holding on to Glanville's hand during a post-game handshake, sticking a finger in his face and lecturing him. One of the Oilers' linebackers was going after Steelers kicker Gary Anderson on kickoffs all game long.

I remember being very happy that I was not Jerry Glanville at that moment. Noll was a tough son of a bitch when he wanted to be.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think the best part of this ordeal was ESPN playing it huge when the news came out and continuously using the word bounties to describe what was going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted