1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL investigates Packers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL officials are investigating whether Green Bay Packers players offered payments to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

ESPN reported that Packers defensive backs offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if they were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago, and another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team on Sunday.

Peterson was held to 45 yards rushing before he left the Vikings' Nov. 11 loss to the Packers with an injury. But the Panthers rushed for 131 yards in Sunday's loss to Green Bay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3119097

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, that seems pretty stupid.

First, how is that any different than a QB or RB buying the O-line a Rolex after reaching a personal goal?

Second, at their level of salary, $500 is like saying, "Shut that guy down and I'll buy you a beer after the game."

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a dumb rule. So long as it's not a head-hunting reward, I don't think it's a big deal for this shit to happen.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was under the impression that this sort of thing happens all the time. As Zeke said, how is it different than giving a teammate a gift?

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kangaroo courts live!

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How much for injurying AP? Guess Al Harris knows that answer.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I agree with Zeke (watch for falling objects!) and I say unless there was $500 to break Peterson's leg, to hell with the rule.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Goodell doesn't have better things to do than waste time with this shit?

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

sounds like a salary cap deal. the 'huge' incentives are circumventing the cap rules and are probably seen as payment not included in contracts as normal bonuses.

minor deal, in the big picture, but certainly against the rules.

10. I think the spirit of the rule (Ain't that a fun term?) is to prevent real headhunting bounties, a la Charles Martin and Jim McMahon. (Don't know if money was involved with that one, but there was a hit list towel.)

Obviously this is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First the Patriots, now the Packers.

Jerry Jones is getting nervous.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly... This isn't exactly Dallas in the 1990s when they were putting bounties on guys' heads...

Draft saved Draft deleted