1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL HOF adds 6: Hickerson, Irvin, Mathews, Sanders, T. Thomas, Wehrli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Because, physically, making a 40-yard field goal is no challenge at all, as it was 30 years ago. It's like an extra-point.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

Monk should be in. The guy was money.
    Kooch won't because Little and Langer are already in and the voters don't think 3 OL from 1 team should be in.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe sportswriters should be subject to the wonderlick test. It seems enought sportswriter who vote arfe too brain dead to function. Personally I can see keeping both out, but Monk has 3 rings, too. a few more TDs, Yards, Receptions and years. Though he has less arrests.

Either both in or both out, but the situation isn't Irvin's fault, it's the fault of the sportwriters who vote.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

sj fav HOF voter Peter King has always been an anti Monk guy.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Doesn't change the fact that is net average is terribly pedestrian.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How did that rank with the punters of that era?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't have the stats, but according to Dr. Z in past columns, middle of the pack.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Couple things Columbo -- you're assuming he played 16 FULL seasons. When in fact he did not. The 82 season was cut in half due to the strike, and he lost significant games in 87 during the last strike. He also only played in three games his final season.

Monk was the primary receiver for the Redskins under Joe Gibbs. It didn't matter if it was Thiesman, Schroeder, Williams or Rypien. When they needed a catch, they threw it to Monk.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In any given season, I'd be hard pressed to rattle off the names of 3-5 punters in the NFL. Back in his day, everyone knew who Ray Guy was. His punting was far and away beyond the norm of the day. In fact, his one peer at the time was probably Jerrel Wilson, which added another element to the Raiders/Chiefs battles back then (like they needed anything else to spice them up...) to see who was going to outkick whom.

Guy belongs in the Hall. Just suffers from position prejudice where people don't regard punters and kickers as football players. Similar to relief pitchers in baseball, where Lee Smith is the all time saves leader but not a famer.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good get. People should compare his numbers to Guy's. If Guy goes in, Wilson and others should follow, but they won't.

And to answer an earlier question, if anything, punting averages were higher back in the 60s and 70s because the emphasis was on distance over net.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I did my homework assignment on Wilson. Here's the scoop:

Guy

42.4 yd avg - career
    2 times leading the league
    1 season over 44 yd avg; 5 seasons over 43
    3rd highest Super Bowl avg - 41.9 (3 games)

Wilson

43.0 yd avg - career
    4 times leading the league (tied for most all time with Sammy Baugh)
    6 season over 44 yd avg; 9 seasons over 43
    Highest Super Bowl avg - 46.5 (2 games)

I'm changing my vote: put Wilson in the Hall. Even better, put 'em both in.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

A few months ago, King announced in his SI.com column that he'd changed his mind, reconsidered it and said he was voting for Monk. Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/11/26/hof.receivers/1.html

"Not only did he lead the NFL in all-time receptions when he retired, but he blocked superbly and was the most important locker-room influence on a three-time Super Bowl champion. I'm voting for him."

Draft saved Draft deleted