1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL HOF adds 6: Hickerson, Irvin, Mathews, Sanders, T. Thomas, Wehrli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 3, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Oh, yeah. He's 'tenured' now. He's going to be totally out of control now. And I'm a fan.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What's funny is, sheer numbers-wise, Irvin isn't any great shakes. But his impact went beyond that.

(Crossing fingers Tim Brown can get in, even though he put up a lot of empty numbers for bad teams)

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Irvin was (wisely) the last inductee to speak at the press conference. He only went on for about 45 minutes. Aikman and Jerry Jones were there to applaud, and I swear they were looking at their watches.

4. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I won't be happy until Randy Gradishar is in. Look at his stats. They're unreal. I think he averaged 200 tackles a year for something like 10 straight years, and some of those were before the 16-game schedule. Elway should not be the only Bronco in the Hall at this moment.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Tim Brown is in, without a doubt. I've never heard anybody even try to say he won't make it in. And he should. Total professional.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dr. Z, who to me is the absolute best in the business, has implied that because of Brown's drops and the fact all numbers are inflated these days, he may have trouble.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Monk belongs first...though Monk belonged before Irvin, too.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Wow, I didn't realize that, and he is the best. But I just can't see it, with 1000 receptions, I don't think there's any way he's not in. Plus, the media loves him. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it the first time around. But I certainly could be wrong.

OOP - I agree with you on Monk, he should be in, and he should be in before Irvin.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Brown was a very average player and a good return man for the first seven or eight years of his career. He did not stand up well compared to his peers prior to the proliferation of the WCO.

10. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

All I know is Irvin is in!!!

I love it.

That is all I care about.

Once again break the math down

Irvin = Canton!!!

Party it up playmaker - yu da pimp!!

ALL that I can possibly ask for now is that he wears the sickest wackiest insanest drobe at the induction ceremony I want to see some crazy loud silk this & that, a James Brownesque cape, some jewel encrusted cane, plenty of bling - something just nuts. I want to see Prime in the mix up on stage & saying stuff & want to see TO come there as a special guest about how he was inspired by the Playmaker, etc.

I want a circus of kickass dudes with charisma that some in the media try to "contain".

Unfortunately, I am sure he will be low key and "classy", but after what some voters put him through....one can only hope.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Monk should've been in right as Irvan retired.

An outrage.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When did Irvin learn to be low key and classy?

Draft saved Draft deleted