1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Hall of fame finalists annouced, who's got your vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Thurman Thomas should be in already. I don't know why more people aren't voting for him.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Emmitt's not eligible until the Class of 2010.

Thurman and Irvin made the cut to the final 10 in 2006, while Kuechenberg has been right on the edge for several years now. Bruce Matthews will jump Grimm and Zimmerman on the list of o-linemen. This year's Seniors nominees have decent credentials, but I'm not sure they both get in. (I'm guessing Hickerson here.) That's five. Does Monk finally make it, now that Peter King hath decreed he's worthy? If so, he fills the final slot.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

• Ray Guy, P, 1973-1986 Raiders
    • Bruce Matthews, G/C, 1983-2001 Oilers/Titans
    • Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-1999 Cowboys
    • Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles
    • Andre Reed, WR, 1985-1999 Bills, 2000 Redskins
    • Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-1999 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

• Derrick Thomas, LB, 1989-1999 Chiefs
    • Richard Dent, DE, 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles

Thomas has to get in before Reed. He was so much more important to Buffalo's offense than Reed, but I still believe Reed deserves to be in. Thomas deserves to be in, IMO. I don't have an incredibly strong feeling about Dent, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem with him being elected. If I can only vote for 7, I cut Dent.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Find me Monk's 10 shutout innings in a Game 7 to win a championship.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I wonder how a team would do in a game without a punter and kicker.

I hate moron writers.... have I ever told you that?

Stenerud is in.

Vinatieri is a slam dunk.

And, Guy punted from 1973-1986 and had a 42.4-yard average.

That that number would be considered a good number now is testament to how great he was.

Yes, punters and kickers should be in, though at an exceptionally high standard.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Irvin will eventually get in, it's just a question of how long they will make him wait.

Art Monk should be in. Matthews is a lock. Thurman and Derrick Thomas should both get in.

Guy should be in. Being the best ever at your position should count for something...

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see the comparison. I'm not sure either ever had a season when they were considered the best in the game at their positions, but both were consistently excellent for a long time and both were big parts of championship teams.

Both also racked up numbers that were a combination of their quality of play and longevity (wins for Morris, receptions for Monk). Both belong in the Hall of Fame.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yeah, that fumbles-recovered stat will get him in.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

• Russ Grimm, G, 1981-1991 Redskins
    • Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles
    • Andre Reed, WR, 1985-1999 Bills, 2000 Redskins
    • Derrick Thomas, LB, 1989-1999 Chiefs
    • Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-1999 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

my first vote is for guy ... he made punting an art form.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

• Richard Dent, DE, 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles
    • Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner, 1989-2006
    • Roger Wehrli, CB, 1969-1982 Cardinals
    • Gary Zimmerman, T, 1986-1992 Vikings, 1993-1997 Broncos

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The comparison is that he's the best receiver not in the Hall of Fame, just as Morris, IMO, is the best pitcher not in the Hall. Also, they each won three championships.

While there's not one game that stands out for Monk, I'd say the fact that he was the first in the NFL to catch 100 passes in a season, plus his 183 consecutive games with a catch streak and the fact that he was the first to eclipse 900 receptions make him Hall worthy. I realize numbers aren't as important in football, but damn, Monk produced. And he produced as part of an ensemble cast (Smurfs, Fun Bunch and the Posse).

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Dr. Z had a real interesting article about punting a while back. Here is what it said about Guy.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/12/08/punters/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted