1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Hall of fame finalists annouced, who's got your vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Redd, my man, the Pro Football Hall of Fame has always been a sham.

The voting process is a joke.
    The idea of a writer from the Gang of 39 having to present a case for each nominee is a farce.
    The fact that a minimum of four must be elected every year cheapens the process.
    And please, tell me how you compare the contributions of an overrated commisioner, the man who legislated the mediocrity we see today, to the performance of the athletes who actually played the damn game.

Of course, when they announce this year's inductees, none of the NFL synchophants will be crying for anyone to have their voting rights taken away beacuse of how they voted. Because we won't know how any of the Gang of 39 voted, behind closed doors in a top secret meeting.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dent, Grimm, Guy, Matthews and Thurman Thomas.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Thomas and Matthews are the only ones that jump out at me. Love to see Dent get in. And DO NOT deny the greatness of Dan Hampton. One of the most versatile defensive linemen ever to play the game, and was the heart and soul (along with Singletary) of the 46 defense.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

• Richard Dent, DE, 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles
    • Ray Guy, P, 1973-1986 Raiders
    • x-Gene Hickerson, G, 1958-1973 Browns
    • Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-1999 Cowboys
    • Bruce Matthews, G/C, 1983-2001 Oilers/Titans
    • Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles
    • Andre Reed, WR, 1985-1999 Bills, 2000 Redskins
    • Paul Tagliabue, NFL Commissioner, 1989-2006
    • Thurman Thomas, RB, 1988-1999 Bills, 2000 Dolphins

These are the only "special" people on the list this year. There are tons of former players roaming the streets and God love them for all they accomplished in the League. But the Hall should be reserved for "special" people affiliated with the game.
    NOTES:
    Hickerson, from what I've heard, was and is considered steady and among the top producers at his position.
    Irvin, a P.R. nightmare for voters, must be considered nonetheless.
    Reed was a notch below Monk, and I am tempted to leave him out for now and forever. He was not as "special" at the WR slot as Monk.
    Come to think of it. I'm not convinced of either's worthiness for the Hall.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dwight Stephenson made it.

6. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Zimmerman was a heck of a player. Dent too. No way should Irvin be in there. I hate the Packers, but I always thought Sterling Sharpe was a far better receiver than Irvin.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tagliabue's wannabe Rozellianism was cemented in the eyes of his mouthbreathers when he canceled games after 9/11. And nobody talks about that self-serving joke of a telethon after Katrina.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Dear spnited. The final meeting of the Hall of Fame committee is about as secret as the Rose Parade. No sooner does it end than the electors enter the Super Bowl press area to bitch loud and long about their distinguished colleagues, revealing not merely votes, but verbatim dialogue.
    2. I saw 3 of Montana's 4 Super Bowls, Jim Brown, Steve Young throw 6 Super Bowl TDs, Adam Vinatieri in the Snow Bowl, and Tom Brady in the 4th quarter of SB XXXVIII. But among performances I have seen in person, Ray Guy in Sept. 1973 will always be in the top five. The Raiders ended the Dolphins' 18-game winning streak 12-7. As the score indicates, it was a defense and field position affair, and rookie Guy won it. He had two punts over fifty and one 62-yarder from his own 8. After the last one, Madden ran out on the field to embrace Guy.
    His exclusion is rank prejudice against kickers, period. If punters aren't real players, why does every team have one? Or, to quote Bill Belichick, "there aren't many other plays in a game where you EXPECT to gain 40 yards of field position."

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tags, Thurman Thomas, Matthews and Sanders (lions fan boy who grew up watching him play....)

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I know this is the fanboy looser in me, but Derrick Thomas should be in. The guy was one of football's all-time great pass rushers. Opponents used to game plan around him. Even up until his final season,he was still capable of having one of those games where he tortured a quarterback.

I know, I know. "He was one-dimensional". He couldn't stop the run, right? Aren't most football players one-dimensional? They pass, they run, they tackle, they catch. Most NFL players only do one great.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

• Richard Dent, DE, 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles
    • Russ Grimm, G, 1981-1991 Redskins
    • Ray Guy, P, 1973-1986 Raiders
    • Michael Irvin, WR, 1988-1999 Cowboys
    • Bruce Matthews, G/C, 1983-2001 Oilers/Titans
    • Art Monk, WR, 1980-1993 Redskins, 1994 Jets, 1995 Eagles

I can only vote for 6 max, right?

Nothing against the Bills; I just think these 6 are more deserving.

Tagliabue should have to wait 5 years like everybody else. And what the hell did he do besides ride Pete Rozelle's wave?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Art Monk is football's Jack Morris.

My six are: Monk, Dent, Thurman Thomas, Tagliabue, Guy and Matthews.

Reed should go in next year, and Irvin the year after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted