1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL games have 12 minutes of action (95% of football is nothing happening)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boom nerd.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There are plenty of acts in life that involve about 12 minutes of action that I wouldn't trade for anything.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or eight seconds.

[/byh]

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dial-up with Compuserve.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I thought it would be less.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

What a bullshit study.

It's like saying the only "action" in a chess match occurs when one of the competitors physically picks up a piece and moves it on the board.

Or the only "action" in Saving Private Ryan came during the landing at Normandy and the battle in the Village and the scene on the Bridge.

Watching a quarterback analyze the defense in front of him and change his protection is as much a part of the action as the actual play.

Football is so interesting because of the build-up and the aftermath, and because it allows for ample time to enjoy the former and analyze the latter. It's interesting that the two sports with the most "action" -- Soccer and Hockey -- are also the two least popular in the United States.

7. Especially live, a big part of the "action" in football is watching the personnel shifted in and out of a game, and the formations and matchups used. I wish television showed even more of this instead of replays and sideline shots.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I wish they would show more action from "coaches cut" perspective. Your view would be like Madden Football. From the endzone. You can see full field - coverages- routes - pulling- trapping.

When I go to live game I prefer the endzone over the 50 yard line.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Football can be pretty damn boring and slow, very much like baseball, but that's why those are the two most popular sports. Every pitch or every down means something.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Enjoyed these posts. "Nothing happening" might be true for someone who doesn't know what they're watching, but the pauses between the "action" not only exist for coaches and players to decide strategy and make adjustments, it gives us the chance to think along with them. If nothing is happening in a person's mind between plays, they just aren't into football.

Same with baseball. The "boring" parts are what I find most fascinating. A triple is exciting, but the thinking game between pitches is compelling to anyone who's into it.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I agree, and that applies for hockey as well. I'll usually try to sit behind one of the goals, high up or low down doesn't matter too much, because you can see the plays and passing lanes more clearly that way.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree, the TV timeouts are rough. I have learned to watch the orange-armed guy for entertainment during them.

Draft saved Draft deleted