1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL flex schedule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The first week is set. Fox loses Bears at Giants, which switched to the NBC night game on November 12. The plan works the first week: Put marquee games in prime time.
    Saints at Steelers that week gets switched to the late afternoon slot on Fox.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's kind of surprising. I know if you're CBS or Fox, you want to save some of your games to protect -- each gets five over the final seven weeks -- for later in the season, but a matchup of two first-place teams and the NFL's two biggest TV markets?

If I were Fox, I would have protected that one.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

The league had its eyes on that one since the schedule was released in the spring; it was even rumored to be (paraphrasing) 'etched in stone' in a few of the NY Sports TV columns in September. I would not be surprised if the NFL had a behind-closed-doors deal with FOX to take an extra game from CBS if NBC could get Bears-Giants.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dick Ebersol said in a teleconference that the NFL has games penciled into all the Sunday night slots and those games cannot be protected by Fox and CBS. The league and the networks just didn't announce it. This one was one of them, and it was easy for NBC to keep it.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I guess, LC.

But, that Saints-Steelers is a hell of a game to be stuck with for Fox.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

This is going to be for the NFL what the wild card was for baseball.

Grand Slam.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Doesn't this potentially screw up some ticketholder's travel plans?

I mean, say you drive somewhere to see a game and expect it to be a one day trip, then you have to stay in a hotel.

Or you have to change flights.

Stuff like that.

I'd be pissed.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

100% true farmerj. but the fans don't matter. TV does.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

[/smacksselfonforehead] I forgot.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Probably won't be too much difference. I'm betting that in general the games that NBC will get are games that were originally going to be the 4:15 game anyway, so it'll only be four hours difference. I don't think any fans will have flights scheduled out on a Sunday night after a 4:15 game.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Giants-Bears originally was a 1 p.m. Eastern start.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I once again renew my call for the NFL to designate three games every week at the start of the season that are possibilities to be moved to Sunday night. That way the fans are alerted to the possibility and NBC can still escape any dud games.

Draft saved Draft deleted