1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Films Super Bowl Highlights running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The late 70s Super Bowl highlight films are epic, especially the Denver-Dallas Super Bowl, which wasn't a very good game, but you wouldn't know it by watching that film.

2. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

The one where Hank Stram is miked is such a classic: "64 Toss Power Trap. ... Keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys. ... Kassulke's running around like it's a Chinese Fire Drill." And so on.

And after Super Bowl 31, coach Mike Holmgren stands before the Packers in the locker room, Lombardi Trophy in hand, and says, "This is named for Vince Lombardi, and you play in Green Bay. As important as it is to every other player and every other team, it means more to us." Gives me goosebumps every time.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Walt Garrison lowered his head and met practically every tackler directly head=on in SB VII. Not the prototype of what the league recommends now.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Growing up, I loved to watch the marathons of these games. Best game to watch though is the Oilers/Bills game. I also liked the Cowboys/Bills Super Bowl because it was one of the first I ever watched.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hank Stram makes the Super Bowl IV film. Whether it's bragging about "65-toss power trap" or complaining about the spot of the ball, only to say in the next breath, "You did good, you did good. ... No, he's all right, you marked it good, you marked it good, you did a hell of a job! Nice going! You marked it good! I tell you what, those officials are doing a hell of a job!" I can watch it over and over.

Of course, it still was the Chiefs last Super Bowl appearance. :(

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was that a catch by Butch Johnson?

My dad still loathes Hank Stram, and all because of the Super Bowl film. The Raiders-Redskins one is memorable because it was Facenda's final piece for NFL Films.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Saw XIII last night, with special emphasis on the play where Charlie Waters would have tackled Franco if the official hadn't gotten in the way. I had no idea the conspiracy dated back more than 30 years :)

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I dig the Chiefs blazer Stram is wearing during the game.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the SB with the famous "they're killing me Whitey, they're killing me" to his assistant coach?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lou Saban, coaching the Broncos, and not in a Super Bowl, gave the Whitey quote.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't forget Bennie Barnes getting called for interference when he got tangled up with Lynn Swann. The official said he intentionall tripped Swann when he fell.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My favorite part of the whole Stram sequence was when he was jawing with the line judge, and the guy looks down and notices that Stram is on the field.

LJ: "You better take a step back or I'm gonna call a penalty for too many men on the field."

Stram: "NO! WHAT?!?"

It's more the tone of voice than anything else. Just priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted