1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Films piece on Paul Zimmerman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 3, 2013.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Great job on that by NFL Films. For the viewer, a very good investment of eight minutes.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I remember reading -- maybe it was in The Thinking Man's Guide -- that when Dr. Z covered the Jets, Weeb Ewbank would bring writers in for film sessions.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With a few exceptions (Jordan, Knight, Wooden...) I was rarely star struck by athletes or coaches. Two of my favorite moments of my journalism career were meeting Jim Murray and Dr. Z.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll throw Parcells in there. I was a young man and had grown up admiring his style.

5. And thanks for posting that, because I was asking that question.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not just a great sports feature, but it should be shared with anyone who knows someone who is dealing with the aftereffects of a stroke.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've never been star struck by athletes but will say I was star struck when I met 21 for
    the first time.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Allie Sherman did the same thing.

Must have been a New York thing.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still one of my favorite sports books - 7 Days Till Sunday by Eliot Asinof
    Deals with NY Giants of late 60's and their preparation to play The Redskins.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The way the piece brought in Tom Wopat was brilliant. "Hey, I had a stroke. I'm not deaf." Given how they ran every word by Dr. Z, no wonder it sounded exactly like him.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

I grew up reading paul z when he covered the hell out of the jets in the '60s. he schooled me on how a team should be covered and it was a huge thrill when I got the chance to bow in homage to him when I began covering the jets in '83 for the daily snooze. h never 'big-timed' eager young reporters he could see real wanted to di it the 'right way' and was proud to consider myself his colleague as he helped my own stature grow. the way he was robbed of his communication skills was a tragic loss for us all. I'm just grateful he can still give us a few minutes of insight into what his life is now. and the flaming redhead is a treasure.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's stuff like this that makes SportsJournalists.com great. Don't believe I would have found this video otherwise. And what a great piece.

Pet peeve from the Globe story: it's Dukes of Hazzard. Two z's, not one like Dr. Z.

Draft saved Draft deleted