1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Fashion Police: Come along Mr. Urlacher.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I agree with this. If you are involved in NFL media day, as a player, coach or whatever, you need to be solely endorsing the NFL to increase $$$.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I certainly hope there is a missing sarcasm font here.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: Teams in flyover country actually won the last two Super Bowls, so something is very wrong.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I was being sarcastic about the $$$

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

During the home run chase of 1998, Mark McGwire attended a press conference (or two) wearing a cap from The Abbey, a Seal Beach restaurant and bar (good burgers) he frequents. I don't recall much of a fuss.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't give a crap who won the last two Super Bowls, OOP. I'd say the same thing if the 2 teams who play in New Jersey played each other in the Super Bowl 10 straight years.

The NFL is the most overhyped, overrated league in all of sports. And all of you who worship at the 100-yard altar every Sunday just swallow the mediocre bullshit and they call parity and bow down to the dictatorial power of Goodell et al.

This fine is totally absurd. For anyone to think Joe Thomas is "obligated" to be in New York for the draft in totally insane.

I repeat:
    FUCK THE NFL.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The sponsorship issue is key here. The agreement with the official drink sponsor of the NFL has to give them certain exclusive rights at NFL events. If you pay the freight for that kind of sponsorship and are promised exclusive rights as part of the agreement, the NFL has to do something to enforce that. Not saying the size of the fine is fair, there must be some kind of reasoning for that, but they have to do something.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So who do you reccommend?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Step 1: post bait
    Step 2: wait
    Step 3: enjoy rant

I would dispute your first statement based on other arguments you have made, but that would be a leap of amateur psychology on my part with a guy I've never met, so I'll just leave that one alone.

I will say that I refuse to base my entertainment choices on politics the way you do. I watch the NFL because, get this, I enjoy watching football and it's the best game in town.

I like rules that provide a relatively level playing field regardless of the market a team calls home. Unlike some posters on this board, I freely admit that personal bias is a large part of that. I'm a Steelers fan. That approach is good for my team. I know if they suck it is because they made bad choices, had injuries or players didn't develop. They don't step to the plate with a strike against them the way low-revenue franchises do in some other sports.

I agree that the fine against Urlacher was excessive. I don't think it was completely unwarranted, but this was more of a wrist-slap-level violation. And the thing with Thomas was silly, too. Not tha I'm going to watch the draft (I have other plans that weekend and the only times the draft didn't bore me is when I covered them).

Still won't lessen my enjoyment of the games next season one iota.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The guy who opens the door? It's Todd Gack.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

David Wells frequently wears PokerStars gear at the ballpark.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Courtesy of his preferred clothier, Omar the Tent Maker.

Draft saved Draft deleted