1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Fashion Police: Come along Mr. Urlacher.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Apr 18, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Urlacher fined $100,000 for wearing a non-league affiliated cap during Super Bowl Media day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/04/18/bc.fbn.bears.urlacherfi.ap/index.html

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He'll now order some sweatbands with the word "Goodell"

3. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

The No Fun League strikes again! Still, it's better than Selig's "Steroids? What steroids?" MLB.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

VitaminWater better send him a $100K check fast.....

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fucking absurd... It should be about 1/4th of that...

If it's that high, they must've found out that he got that amount to wear it...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

100K for the wrong hat? No wonder Joe Thomas is going to tell the NFL to get bent and go fishing on draft day. It's his last chance at an unencumbered life for years.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

If I'm Urlacher, I'm paying that fine with 10 million pennies...if I pay it at all.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What a bunch of fascists.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, damn it, a guy should be allowed to wear Balco Lab gear if he wants to.

I'm all for civil liberties and freedom of expression, but it's hard to work up sympathy for these guys regarding the uniform policies. You work at their store, they set the rules. If you work at McDonald's, they're probably not going to let you wear a cap or t-shirt promoting a business or a cause.

Left to their own devices, there's no limit to the amount of embarrassment the citizens of the NFL might bring on the league, especially in this era of "miracle" supplements.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I agree with the NFL on this. At NFL-sponsored events, you wear their gear. Period.

The fine is a little high, though.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Problem with a smaller fine is an advertiser would probably gladly pay $5,000 for the publicity. Then there's no deterrent.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If they want to fine him, cool. But why wait three months to do it?

Draft saved Draft deleted