1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL extends the extension they already extended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

True but you are kind of locked in. Specially PSL owners. If you don't send money you lose your seats or are in default on PSL.

Jets give 3 options -
    1 Pay in full now
    2 Pay over 6 payment via checking account debit with
    first being March 10

3 Two payments - Half by April 1 and balance due
    when training camp opening is announced.

Likely that opt 2 is best option for most meaning money starts rolling in next week. Second best is probably 2 payment option which means more money comes in by April 1 .

My feeling is that April 1 is probably big decision point for owners. If not resolved by then it will drag out because owners will have cash flow to work with.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Roger that.

3. Boom_70

With things like facebook and twitter it would be a lot easier for fans to stage an uprising. Possibly a mass season ticket holder holdback of money.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And if you're a Packers season ticket holder subscribing to that mentality, you go to the end of the line.

Any money sent in going to games not play would be applied to future games, just like they do with playoff invoices. We paid for Packers home playoff game tickets this year, but obviously didn't get any games. Therefore, that money is applied to next season's tickets.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would think a class action lawsuit of ALL NFL season ticket holders demanding that at the very least their money be put in escrow until the situation is resolved might have some effect, especially if it's begun by a request for an injunction against policies like those of the Packers.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The owners are all multi-billionaires anyway, they can survive a season (or five) without football.

7. Boom_70

At least all PSL holders since they paid for something that might not be delivered.

The owers are "devaluing" the PSL investment by their actions.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nice read. I like this Nate Jackson, read several interesting things by him on Deadspin.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052748704005404576176792241983886.html

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen or read a story looking into the various stadium deals the owners have? I almost think the 18 game thing is more for the extra cash of an extra home game than for the extra TV money.
    I've heard some stuff that owners are worried about big payments coming due to banks for some of their stadium construction costs (I'm figuring at least 10-15 have been built in the last 15 years). But I also know that public money was involved in most of them if only for street improvements and tax breaks, so there should be some information available on what owners real situation is. The weird thing is, most of the new stadiums were built, or at least on the drawing boards before the last labor deal was cut, and yet I can't see anything in terms of the game's economics that are worse now than they were then. So what changed to make the last deal suddenly bad? Or maybe it was just that with the recently deep-sixed TV money guarantees, they figured they could drive a hard bargain?

10. Michael_ Gee

Dan, this situation is totally about power. The owners hate being actual partners with the players, because they are, as a group, your typical spoiled, self-righteous, sociopathic American rich people. Remember, this a group where the person who has accomplished the most in the sport besides just skimming money off the top of it is Al Davis. When he's the titan of your industry, well, yikes!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing is, I don't think the owners mind the "their greedier" arguments - they probably wear it like a badge. Much better than the "they're leveraged to all hell, the cost overruns are killing them and they really aren't as rich as people think" reason to try and lock the players out.

12. Michael_ Gee

It's not even greed, because they'd never make back the money they'd lose off a long work stoppage. It's just the lust for power. You could make a good argument that if there is a settlement, it'll be because the owners' greed kicks in and they start doing arithmetic rather than with negotiating through penis envy.

Draft saved Draft deleted