1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Europa folds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 29, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Coming soon: NFL summer.
    Glorified flag football played by rookies, wannabes and hangers on during the time between the NFL draft and the start of camp.
    Modeled after the 7-on-7 football played by the high school kids where they don't even have flags, just one hand touch, it won't have linemen, but it will have the skill players and lots of passing. Each NFL franchise will sponsor a team, they'll play four-team invitationals and it will get tons of coverage since those who just got drafted will be playing. It will also fill the summer gap and make the NFL a year-round league.
    They could also play the games in places that don't have an NFL franchise, so it will get tons more exposure. Like the Cowboys going to Mexico City, where they are guaranteed huge crowds, and it won't be expensive to put on. Plus it would be cheap to broadcast.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glad I got my Berlin Thunder hat when I did. But I'll miss the London Monarchs, Scottish Claymores, Barcelona Dragons, Rhein Fire and the other teams that no longer exist. Guten Tag

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Shucks. And I loved me some lime-green jerseys...
    [​IMG]

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's weird. The Dolphins-Giants game in London supposedly sold 40,000 tickets in 90 minutes last month, which was more than the Monarchs ever did for a whole season. I guess there's a thirst for the game over here but it has to be the real thing.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

More than anything, I miss helmet cam.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Since the bulk of the teams were in Germany because of the American military bases, I wouldn't be half shocked to find out that the Defense Department was picking up part of the tab and saying it was for entertainment/troop morale.

7. duckncover

duckncover Member

Fuckin' NFL doesn't support the troops!

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Roger Goodell, why do you hate America?

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Robert Edwards can't wait.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

That was my first thought when I heard about it. It would have to the in the spring to work.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Zing!

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An NFL development league might fly in this country if you could gamble on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted