1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As Bill Tobin might say, "Who the hell is Todd McShay?"

Again, it makes ZERO sense for the Bears to take a receiver. Zero. After an entire shitty season of talk about how Jay Cutler isn't the answer and the subsequent firing of a pass-happy coach, who in their right mind thinks they would target a receiver?

2. Mr. Sunshine

I'd rather have the Bears take a running back before a receiver.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At 7, or in general?

4. Mr. Sunshine

In general.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Last year's draft class has everyone all giddy about WR prospects, but the best WR in the Super Bowl was a quarterback in college. And all those great Broncos receivers didn't make a damn bit of difference in the previous year 's SB. Odell Beckham was ridiculous last season, but the Giants still sucked. The impact of wide receivers, even in today's pass -happy game, remains limited.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

But they're being taken a lot higher than they used to be. Until the Lions went on their ridiculous run of drafting WRs in the top 10, it was pretty rare for it to happen. Now, it happens once or twice a year. The Super Bowl may not be the best comparison since Belichick has never put a premium on the position and the Seahawks had the worst receivers in the league last season. Maybe that's your point...

It is a position where there is a lot of value in the second round, but you have to trust your GM to get the right guy. It can be like the Packers, who have struck gold in the second round three, possibly soon to be four, times or it can be a big whiff. I have no problem with teams taking a WR in the top 10, but he better be an immediate difference-maker.

7. Mr. Sunshine

I think the Packers's success has more to do with the quarterback. On a related note, I hope Kentucky wins by 50 next weekend. :)

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The top two teams in the league disagree with you.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Which is why the Seahawks traded for the second best TE in the league.

10. Mr. Sunshine

The Seahawks traded for Greg Olsen! :)

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tight End not receiver. I'm not arguing for a minute that the Seahawks don't need a receiver or two but receivers can be found throughout the draft. I'd be very reluctant to draft one that high, there is incredible depth at the position just like running back.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Point taken, and I agree with you. I just think it's interesting that receivers are being taken a lot higher than they used to. Although, Seattle did draft Paul Richardson in the second round last year and I don't remember hearing his name too often until he had a TD against my Niners...

Draft saved Draft deleted