1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Mar 27, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That would seem about right. A good team will take a chance on him. I'm guessing nobody in the top 10 will be willing to take that risk.

3. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I don't get that. White is a beast. I think he's going to be better than Cooper.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Just get the overrated vibe from him. "Raw but talented" receivers rarely live up to the hype. He also gives me David Terrell nightmares.

5. Mr. Sunshine

I have a self-imposed week away from sj that says Cooper has a better rookie season than White -- even if he goes to the Bears! Takers?

6. Mr. Sunshine

#97repliesinthenext2minutes

7. JackReacher

It does kinda seem like no one was on White until he ran the 40. Then, suddenly, HOLY SHIT HE MIGHT GO AHEAD OF COOPER!!!!!

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Exactly. He's been Mamula'd. I don't trust that.

9. JackReacher

I'm a sucker for action, though, so yeah, I'll take the bet.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Oh crap, someone dropped a Mamula reference.

Let me say it again ... Mike Mamula was a GREAT college player — 11 sacks as a junior, 13 as a senior (playing in the Big East, back when Miami and Virginia Tech were in there and Syracuse was still good).

Then there was his combine performance.

So he dominates in college in a good league and then he blows away the combine.

Why exactly wouldn't you draft that guy?

P.S. — Mamula was also better than people remember in the NFL until he got hurt. But for a lot of reasons (including the fact that he was replacing Reggie White and that the Eagles traded the pick that turned into Warren Sapp to move up and get him), he's been made the dual symbol of Combine busts and the Rich Kotite/Ray Rhodes era of the Eagles.

It's not accurate, and not fair.

11. Mr. Sunshine

I'm fully aware of what Mamula did in college and the NFL, but, fair or not, his name is synonymous with putting too much stock into combine numbers. I think it's in the dictionary.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, nobody is saying the guy sucked in college, but when you enter the combine projecting as a late second or third round pick and you wind up going seventh overall, it's a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted