1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft question: How bad, if at all, is Troy Smith's stock damaged?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Jan 9, 2007.

1. This sounds like what an SEC fanboy would say. Smith had a horrible game on the biggest of stages and now it's easy for everyone to sit back and pick him apart. I agree with Mizzou Grad - he'll go high in the second round and has the chance to be a decent, if not good NFL quarterback. I don't think last night exposed anything, except for a good quarterback having a horrible game. And as far as vertically challenged QBs go, Drew Brees had a pretty good season in New Orleans. He's 6-1, too, if I'm not mistaken, and he played in the slow-footed Big Ten.

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Let's not forget Brohm.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I can't believe the ridiculousness that has him going in the first day of the draft.

And, to the Leak-Pennington comparison.... precisely.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That was the worst. If you saw him and Leak after the game, you couldn't tell who won or lost. Obviously a blowout like that isn't as bitter a pill to swallow, and it's nice that you congratulate your counterpart, but I felt like laughing and smiling going off the field was a bit much.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boobie, normally you're dead on with stuff, but I find it tough to hang with the amateur psychologist deal on Troy Smith. You, I and the rest of the cast of characters have no way of knowing how hard he took the defeat. It's just possible that his maturity level is at a point that he doesn't need to throw himself down crying when life throws him a curve.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Joe Germaine

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never saw anyone complain that offensive line during the regular season. And if you think just because Smith is going to the NFL he's going to get a line that can block, think again. If Smith is taking snaps for the Raiders, Lions, Bucs, Browns -- any number of teams in the NFL, really -- he better get used to being hit like he did last night.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Good company at that.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Agreed!

If you were getting your arse kicked for THREE HOURS STRAIGHT - you should be numb to the pain.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing about Smith, I'd rather see more fire from a quarterback. When the line kept letting the ends run around them unmolested, I'd like to see Smith light into them on the sideline.

One time they showed him talking to the line but he didn't even seem overly concerned or angry or frustrated or anything.

You need a leader for a quarterback. I wouldn't touch Troy Smith with Mel Kiper's comb.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Dyepack's got a new handle? Kidding. I've never been completely sold on Troy Smith. I think like Charlie Ward (who played in the ACC, not the SEC), he'll be known as an outstanding college quarterback whose success never translates to the NFL. I know this is like comparing apples with oranges, but I can see what happened to a high school quarterback here in S.C. happening to Troy Smith. The high school kid is all-world, everybody thinks he's a top-notch quarterback. And he's not bad at all. But after his junior year, 50 people graduated off his varsity team and all of a sudden, he doesn't have the loads of talent he had before. I think the talent around Troy Smith made him look better than he really was. Now, could I be wrong? Of course. I'm not an expert in football like other much-maligned posters claim to be. But I don't think Troy Smith will be the next great thing in the NFL. I think he'll be more like Joe Hamilton, who made a lot of money holding a clipboard.

12. I never said or thought Charlie Ward played in the SEC.
    By the way, Charleston, S.C., is a wonderful city. I was able to visit there last fall for a wedding and absolutely loved it. I would like to go back soon and for a brief escape of the cold Midwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted