1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft question: How bad, if at all, is Troy Smith's stock damaged?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think he can be a good(not saying he will) NFL quarterback. Very accurate, great leader, and he's mobile.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, it was damaged. That's how scouts and teams are. Russell's stock went up even though some fat old yak could throw for two bills against Notre Dame's pass defense.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think he was going to be a top pick, but he might have dropped out of the first round with this performance. However, I think some teams might still look at his overall play this season, and still kick the tires and see what he's got.

I think there's the possibility he can be a servicable NFL QB, but if I were a GM, I wouldn't use a first rounder on him. Maybe a second, depending on need.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

some team's gonna get lucky. his stock dropped so he's a steal in the second or third round, especially for a team with an adequate - though maybe not great - QB already in place.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmm...I think maybe Chuck likes mobile quarterbacks.

I think Smith is a bit small, but despite the lousy performance in the title game, he was a much better passer in college than he who shall remain unnamed here.

6. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

He's still better than Brady Quinn. Quinn is going to go high in the draft only to become a big ole bust. Troy will rise and play like an underdog - this time with an offensive line that can block.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boy, I hope the NFL scouts are reading this board an taking notes on that piece of inspired wisdom. Otherwise, they might take that Quinn guy too early.

8. I agree that Quinn will be a bust, but I think Troy Smith is no better than a career backup. The only top tier QB in the draft is Russell. But if he goes to Oakland, he will be committing career suicide.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

re Chris Leak: All I could think of as he was completing those soft sideline passes last night was Chad Pennington. He'd better be dead accurate, or he's dead dead.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Troy Smith is Charlie Ward -- without the jump shot. He'll get drafted and either hold a clipboard as the No. 3 quarterback on a team or play in the CFL, Arena Football League or NFL Europe.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He also looked fat and out-of-shape. He didn't seem too upset with the loss either which bothered me.

Draft saved Draft deleted