1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft goes to primetime Thursday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Beginning with 2010 draft. Round one starts 7:30 p.m. Eastern Thursday. Round two and three on Friday starting at 6:30. Rest on Saturday starting at 10 a.m.

http://tinyurl.com/musy9b

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not a good idea. Too much competition from prime time programming, which is just sliding towards seasonal grand finales.
    God help the poor SOBs who're the beat guys for teams with picks numbers 20-32.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. Why are they messing with something that's been successful?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's no way this makes deadlines, especially out east.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

NFL.com and NFL Network has no deadlines, my friend.

[blue]And this is a great idea.[/blue]

6. Inky_Wretch

$$$

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it will be that successful, at least on the East Coast. Friday is a workday. The first round, lest we forget, can run many, many hours long. Why should New Englanders stay up till midnight to see which team Belichick trades down with?
    Plus, there is sports competition from NBA-NHL playoff games, and baseball, AND entertainment programming. On weekends, you have the former to fight.

8. Baron Scicluna

Well, besides that. But will they get better ratings on a Thursday night than a Saturday morning? And who else, other than hardcore fans, will want to watch three days of a draft instead of two?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The family and friends of those who might get drafted?

10. Inky_Wretch

I don't think they need more viewers. Simply by moving to primetime, the ad rate goes up.

11. Baron Scicluna

I would think if they lost a bunch of viewers, they might have issues with their ad rate.

I'm probably just stuck in my way a little. Heck, I remember watching the '83 draft from home in 5th grade by (somewhat) claiming that I was sick that day (I wasn't feeling great, but I probably could have gone to school).

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So that's where John Elway got the idea from when the Colts drafted him. Either that or someone forget to feed him an apple with his oats that morning ...

Draft saved Draft deleted