1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft: First Round QBs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ttomea, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That rookie season destroyed any chance Carr had to succeed in the NFL. I don't know if it was a record, but I think he was sacked 70+ times that season. To do that to any quarterbacks is horrible, but to throw your No. 1 QB out there in that situation is idiotic.

I don't think Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith (maybe Tim Couch) would have done much better in a different situation, but I definitely think Carr had the chance to be a very, very good QB if the Texans hadn't tried to get him killed during his rookie season.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the QB who does OK on a crappy team will be considered the best because we all know they would have been an All-pro if they went to a strong team.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tim would say that we need to wait until 2016 to know.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Yes, Brees fits as well. If I can find the study (Footballs Prospectus maybe?) I will share the link. Interestingly, though, Aaron Rodgers would be a big outlier for the under 30 games set.

And that was my problem with the study. They knew who the successful qbs were and then found common denominators.

Anyway
    Ponder: 61.8 career pct with a high of 68.8.. 35+ starts
    Locker: 53.9 with a high of 58.2 ...35+ starts
    Gabbert: 60.9 with a high of 63.4 ...less than 30 starts
    And we all know Cam Newton.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Except there's the Catch-22 there. "You can never be the best until you have the ring."

a/k/a the Dan Marino Rule.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Michael, I know you're not trying to pick a fight here. I've said that I was not the biggest fan of Marty Hurney and Jerry Richardson picking Cam Newton.

After the Giants game, a good friend and solid, solid football mind asked me again about Newton, knowing my take on him. He looked good. But said friend was also told that while Newton didn't look bad, the Giants' pass defense is also a complete mess.

Two preseason games against two teams with anything-but-standout defenses - and two losses - later, my point stands. At least for now. If Cam Newton proves me wrong, no one will be more pleased. But I've yet to see it. Yeah, he's mobile. Yes, he'll be able to save a few plays with his mobility and the threat of running. That doesn't necessarily make a great quarterback, and where's all this leadership he's supposed to possess?

Draft saved Draft deleted