1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Draft: First Round QBs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ttomea, Aug 25, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. Whenever I saw Ark in a big game, there he was throwing the gut wrenching pick with no pressure (two I remember, Fla. in '09, OSU this year).

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There might be a reason, Michael.

Some seemed to be dying to make Newton critics eat it following the preseason opener against the Giants. Two preseason games, two preseason losses and two meh outings later ... jury's still out as to how much the learning curve is still being conquered and how much was the Giants' pass defense a complete mess.

To be fair, it's still early. The regular season is still to come. The dance has yet to start. We'll see.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Newton can't complete passes outside the hashes. If that isn't fixed, teams will have a field day defending him. You can't cede the outer half of the field to an NFL defense and have even the slightest chance of succeeding.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Would have bought all of that 6-8 years ago.

The good coach -- of course, that's a no-brainer. But I don't think carrying a clipboard is the resume-builder it was a few years ago. Get in there and learn the game.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of rollouts, some of them probably designed.

But those pass attempts off the back foot won't fly. Those tend to not end too well.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sam, I'm not trying to pick a fight with Newton's critics. He's an unproven commodity, as are all rookie QBs. I only meant that because he WILL get the most playing time, and because most rookie QBs struggle mightily as first-year starters (Marino's an exception, and Sammy Baugh, and that's about it), he will therefore get the most criticism, because his head will be sticking up more than his peer group holding the clipboards.
    If Brady and Hoyer decide to go surfing at the Cape this weekend for some reason, and Mallett has to be the Pats' starter, HE'D get the most criticism.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Tom Brady started zero games as rookies....

By the same token, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford and Ben Roethlisberger were all regular starters as rookies. In the cases of Flacco and Roethlisberger, both players were plugged into pretty damn good teams.

Some of the great quarterbacks are ready to start. Some are not. Some are not given a choice and the result can be someone like David Carr, who probably would have been a lot more successful if he wasn't thrown right in there.

I think Cam Newton could be successful in the right situation, but playing for an awful team in Carolina, with a defensive-minded head coach and an offensive coordinator whose background is working with tight ends doesn't seem like that.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Wasn't there a study a few seasons ago predicted Qb success rates for first rounders? It was something like minimum 35 college starts and a 65 percent completion rate, and the qb prospered in the pros. If that wasn't there, ultimately the kid failed. And this was a study just on first rounders in the past decade so late round and free agents like Brady and Romo weren't considered.

9. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how many NFL starting quarterbacks had 35 college starts? I'm guessing five or six...

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I think it was 35, may have been 30..but essentially a three-year starter. So you have both Mannings, Roethlisberger, McNabb, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer off the top of my head. Now, I don't each has 65 percent pass rating.

11. Mizzougrad96

I know Brees wasn't a first-rounder, but I'm guessing he had that many starts and that completion percentage.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

David Carr's become the poster boy for that line of thinking, mizzou. That was a perfect storm.

QB arrives from a program and competition level that's less than the best. Drafting team had one of the worst offensive lines in history. QB is thrown to the wolves and spends 89% of his time on his back.

Draft saved Draft deleted