1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Playoff football in the elements is real football, so much better than dome playoff football. The weather is a factor. I grew up six miles from that stadium. It's close to Lake Erie, in the southtowns snowbelt, and windy.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The most entertaining thing about that game was Al and Chris laughing as Michelle gave her report: "The winds have died down in the second half".
    Meanwhile they are showing the flags are about to be ripped from the poles.
    "The flags are starched", Al says...

3. poindexter

Football games dominated by weather suck. I don't care if you were born with a frigging wing in your mouth.

JC likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In this instance I think both team's defenses had more to do with it than a little wind. It wasn't even cold, and there was no snow. Weather was a factor, but certainly not a dominant one by any stretch of the imagination.

And wings weren't invented yet when I was born. Genny Cream and Utica Club, OTOH ...

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The era of the Ain’ts and the Bay of Pigs.

UPChip likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dec. 1, 1985 - Green Bay got a foot the weekend of the game and four, five more inches during. Could happen again, though at present the long-range weather for next weekend in Wisconsin is around 20 with some snow showers, so seasonably cold. Might even be better than current. We've had this yucky run of clammy and 30 for like a week, and that stuff gets into your bones. Sounded like Pam Oliver might have needed a warm-up shack during a couple of her hits today.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I am stunned that they didn't put the NFC title game in primetime. Once the Packers won, that seemed like the logical choice.

8. poindexter

It is.alternated.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Football as envisioned is an autumn sport, with almost every game played before winter. Colleges typically wrapped up their seasons around Thanksgiving. The NFL's "Greatest Game Ever Played" was held only six days after fall ended.

It only became a winter sport because they expanded the regular season five weeks and kept expanding the playoffs, too.

This 2 feet of snow "Ah, this is how football was MEANT to be played" is not true at all.

10. poindexter

You and I didn't watch the same game.

da man likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The NFL is a game of adjustments.

Adjusting to injuries is just like adjusting to weather.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The last Bronco game I physically attended was in 1984(I moved from Denver right after the Drive in 1987). The Broncos were playing the Packers on Monday Night and Denver was experiencing a blizzard. A friend had tickets high up in the south stands. So I drove through the weather to watch the game.

As I walked to the stadium I could see from a scoreboard 15 minutes on the clock. As I walked underneath the south stands I heard a roar. I asked a guy what happened. Steve Foley had recovered a fumble and scored with 16 seconds in the game. As I walked up the steps of the south stands with my back to the game the crowd rose and roared. Louis Wright had recovered another fumble and returned it for a touchdown. The Broncos lead 14-0

I sat through the rest of the game in that blizzard and the Broncos basically did nothing else. They won 17-14. And I have never gone to another bad weather game anywhere.

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted