1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Everyone in the booth agreed that should have been a penalty.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying anything but that it was illegal as hell.
    It's just that the NFL says those aren't reviewable, so everyone throws up their hands and says, 'oh well'. Bizarre.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100 percent. The problem is, even though everyone knows it's the rule, every single player in the league is diving for the pylon, just like Higgins did.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'll say this. ... if you're running towards the sidelines and you dive for the pylon, the vast, vast majority of the time if you fumble, you're going to fumble out of bounds.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pass interference in high school used to be an automatic first down. It was changed just a handful of years ago. There is a rule in the rule book for "intentional" pass interference that carries an additional 15 yards. Never seen it called -- and I never would.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with them not calling that, and there are many plays just like this. Guys' helmets are at the same level. They're going to hit each other. In this case, what else is Sorenson supposed to do? Also, the official on the play is getting railed for not calling that. If he's watching the helmets, he's not watching the ball. Which should he watch? Good play by Sorenson. Bad play by Higgins. Good officiating by the guy on the play.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not good officiating -- great officiating. Fantastic position. The goal line is the No. 1 thing. He absolutely was looking at the right place.

2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
  8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that Sorenson clearly went helmet first. The view from the goal post camera clearly shows both of his hands by his waist as contact is made. But I agree that the official at the spot did what he was supposed to. I'm guessing the linesman, back judge and umpire were too far away from the play to make the targeting call.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I had a basketball coach berate me in a SIXTH-grade game that I missed a clear path to the basket foul.

MileHigh and Justin_Rice like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In the replay, I think the back judge was screened by a bunch of players. I was specifically looking for other officials when I saw a replay this morning and the only one with a possible vantage point doesn't come into frame until after contact is made because too many people were in the way.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. Sorensen dipped his head on the way to the contact. That should be called every time.

That said, regarding his hands, he was loading up for a hit with his shoulder, which he delivered on contact.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You can't call that every time. You just can't. Sorenson leads with his helmet because the only way not to do that is to have his arms extended in some Superman position, and he would never be able to make that play that way. He is trying to hit Higgins with his shoulder, which he does. They both left their feet at different times and from different places. Hitting heads there is incidental. If they call all of these, they will have to call 20 or 30 every game. Heads are going to hit heads. It's why they wear helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted