1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round Thread: Colts? Chargers? Vikings? Saints? Come Out & Play!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Except for maybe on the other side of the ball when Breaston or Fitzgerald went across the middle.....

2. Captain_Kirk

I know I'm going against the Amazing Football Kreskin right now in BYH, but I like the Jets plus the points. Just can't see that defense allowing them to get blown out.

And if both the Saints and Colts lose this week, wonder if that does change teams' strategies in the future regarding down the stretch play. A pair of teams going from 13-0 to out in the first round might give cause to ponder.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

In all fairness, Fitzgerald beat the hell out of Woodson physically and was allowed to get away with it.

As for the Saints, if Jason Campbell can pass for 367 yards, Chris Redman 303, the ghost of Marc Bulger 298 and Josh Freakin Freeman 271, Kurt Warner is going to go off.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Revis will have more trouble with Jackson/Rivers/good weather than he did with Ocho/Palmer/cold weather, but I think Revis will show once again how great he is.

If SD loses this game, well, let's just say even more will be written about Norv Turner and the playoffs.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What? So you're saying Revis isn't as good in warm weather?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jackson is definitely a tougher matchup than the loudmouth formerly known as Chad Johnson. He is a much better receiver at this point. The problem for the Jets is that the Chargers have plenty of other weapons to turn to.

I do not believe that the weather will make that much of a difference. Rain, snow or high winds can disrupt a passing game. Cold? Meh.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think you are wrong about the Jets - the Chargers are going to blow the Jets out but it will be a gradual blowout - I just don't see the Jets being able to score enough to hang around.

As for your second point - if the Colts and Saints lose, it will depend on how they lose.

If the Colts lose a close game because they can't stop the run, that is not a layoff thing. And if the Saints fall victim to a hot Kurt warner with Boldin back - like many teams in the past have -- that isn't a layoff thing, either.

I'm sure the story will be if either loses "LAYOFF, SEE SHOULDN'T HAVE RESTED PLAYERS" but that may or may not necessarily be the reason they lose.

Of course, if both teams win, there won't be a single peep about the fact that both teams rested players.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Here's my thing regarding the Jets and Chargers....I don't think the Chargers and their horrific run defense can do enough to stop the Jets running attack.

I can see the Jets winning the time of possession battle and making a game out of it to the end. I have them winning it.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Passing games click easier in warmer weather. QBs are more accurate, receivers catch the ball better... I just don't think the Arizona/GB game this weekend would have looked the same in GB.

It would have been a shootout, but probably not to the degree we saw in AZ.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is the Chargers' run defense still that bad? Remember, much of what the Titans in Week 16 did came late in the game, as they kept running even though the Chargers were blowing them out. They did a decent job against the Bengals the week before that. This is a better defense than what they had early in the season.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Under that theory, wouldn't Revis be a little better in warm weather, too?

People kept saying you shouldn't trust Sanchez in a cold-weather climate since he's a SoCal guy or whatever. Nice call.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Captain_Kirk

Well, considering my recent track record, there's definitely a very good chance I'm wrong. ;D

And agreed, if both the Colts and Saints win, the play v. rest issue will be completely buried.

Draft saved Draft deleted