1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 6, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was the best ref in the Pac-12 (insert comment here) - but he didn't just call a good game, he seemed to have a good command of the game. Some refs look like they're always expecting a buzzer from NY.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Steve Czaban always calls him "Walt Anderson and his bag of bent needles," which earns my giggle.

Batman likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Other than too many preseason games, the NFL’s season is just right. Maybe have two bye weeks. But it goes fast and leaves fans wanting more. Every game is an event.

If you’re a junkie, it really is all year. Season, playoffs, super bowl, combine, free agency, draft, OTAs, camp ... season.

Batman likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I only dig game days.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    sgreenwell and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm with you.
    I'm a junkie, but the off-season stuff doesn't interest me.

The NFL will Fuck this up in the next few decades, but the shortness of the season makes it special.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

They could keep the 16 game schedule and add two more bye weeks to give the players some additional weeks of rest. I am guessing they will add a bye week when/if the schedule goes to 18 games though.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Never

Brady and Bill will never be together again.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I really don't get complaints the NFL season isn't long enough. First exhibitions are in mid-August. Season ends on Groundhog Day this year. That's almost six months. And where would you extend it, forwards or backwards? Deeper into winter or back towards midsummer? The former means more games played in extreme weather. The latter means more fans will be outside doing fun stuff and not watching you on TV. The season used to start on Labor Day weekend. It got pushed back a week because too many teams had trouble drawing fans and keeping up ratings on the last summer holiday weekend.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"The way football was MEANT to be played!"
    (oft-heard statement from fans about this autumn game)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Just get Super Bowl Sunday to be on Presidents' Day weekend and we're all set.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The length of football season is perfect. By the time you get sick of spending Sundays in front of the TV, it's over. Good thing because my liver really couldn't handle more than 17 regular-season Sundays.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Supposedly this is the first divisional round in 41 years without AFC East or NFC East representation.

Draft saved Draft deleted