1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Defensive ROY -Cushing Tests Positive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 10, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, you are making an assumption. It may be a correct one, but don't present it as a fact.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is, however, a fact that Shawn Merriman was suspended for the first four games a few seasons back and won the defensive player of the year award that season.
    Is AP going to rescind that, too? And why not?

3. outofplace

Excellent question. I guess the idea here is that Cushing tested positive in September and the appeals process took until now, so the voters should have that information in mind. Did the tackles he made somehow not happen now?

It's dumb. Just like it would be dumb for baseball to try to retroactively punish players in a similar manner.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

What do you guys think of the AP conducting a new vote for the award?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The NFL and MLB should start a Blood Passport program like international cycling; by most accounts, the cycling program has cleaned up the sport.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What kind of union do cyclists have?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OOP,

I know agents who wouldn't be so quick to defend the athletes. :D

8. outofplace

I know plenty more journalists who aren't so quick to talk out of their asses. :)

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm going to guess HGH does have a place in the NFL.

And I don't give a shit. Not my body.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never trusted athletes who defend themselves against allegations by saying "I've never failed a drug test." Maybe it's because they can't say I've never taken an performance enhancer with a straight face.

Sure would be interesting if Goodell has to handle Fox's ethics for them. Granted, he isn't doing anything Fox isn't doing, making money off a source you are allegedly covering.
    But we've seen this dynamic in politics to the point that they don't hire journos anymore, just people with access and relationships with people they cover. The ethicial quandary is THE REASON they're hired, not a detriment. So what if they have a business relationship with a candidate they're touting, or need to slam someone or something that might hurt their bottom line. "Journalism" like this is becoming a sideline gig, a means to an end, rather than the end.
    Not saying Glazer isn't the best info guy out there, but there used to be a thing about the "appearance of impropriety." Now it's "I know him, he's a good guy, this is okay."

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really begs the question of whether Glazer and the nice folks at MMA introduced Cushing to the banned substance.

From what I understand with HGH the only way to test is to look at level of testosterone - there is a range within most males - a low and a high- Players taking HGH just push it to the high end and then still - still getting all the benifits but not falling into danger zone.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe he should blame his misdeeds on a priest at Bergen Catholic.

Draft saved Draft deleted