1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Defensive POY -- James Harrison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 5, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, though he was arrested for assault and criminal mischief related to a domestic dispute this offseason. Those charges were later dropped after he went through an anger management course.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08094/870237-100.stm

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

That sentence displays your complete fundamental lack of understanding of football.

Reed is the best player in football, hands-down. It's not even close.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

He might be the best defender in football. Hell, he might be the best player.

But no one player in the NFL is that much better than the rest of the pack.

What about Randy Moss? He might be the toughest receiver to defend in the history of football.

What about Manning? Brady? Haynesworth? Gates? Steve Smith?

4. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I meant defensive. My bad.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think you'd be surprised how many GMs would take a dominant DT over a dominant safety.

But Reed's return ability is simply ridiculous. What an X-factor...

6. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Certainly GMs would take a dominant DT over a dominant safety, because they are rarer. But Reed is involved in so many more plays than a DT -- Harrison or anyone else -- it's comical to suggest otherwise. And yes, his return ability is sick.

7. outofplace

No, your inability to recognize how much more of an impact Harrison makes in defending the run than Reed does shows your inabilty to give any member of the Steelers any credit for anything. That is really the source of your argument.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Is anyone else getting the "Are you smarter than Hines Ward?" ad?

9. outofplace

I saw it earlier, but not now.

10. If Reed, Haynesworth, Harrison or (my personal fav.) Troy won the award, I would be hard pressed to argue against it.

All are incredible assets.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Have the Ravens ever tried Reed on offense? As a punt returner?

12. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Agree to disagree. Reed plays the run every play; Harrison does when it comes to his side. How many game-changing plays did Harrison make this year? Reed seemed to make one about every other week, including this week. I have no dog in the fight; you clearly do. Your stance is understandable.

Draft saved Draft deleted