1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Defensive POY -- James Harrison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 5, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hAgAxyE0WeXvBWpXKE3vxftAxoMwD95H402G0

James Harrison of the Steelers was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Trey Beamon posted this on the NFL Divisional round thread, but I thought the award deserved its own thread. Perhaps there is a fanboy element in it, too. so be it.

I've been arguing that Harrison should be up for the award most of the season, but I really thought DeMarcus Ware was going to get it because he led the NFL with 20 sacks. Harrison had 16 in 15 games, but he was much more of a force against the run than Ware or Joey Porter. Obviously, it helped that Harrison played on a defense that led the league in yardage and points allowed.

I am curious if others disagree with the choice. I have even heard Steelers fans argue that Polamalu is more deserving. Ed Reed and Ware obviously belonged in the discussion. Anybody else?

2. The anti-Steelers fanbois just let out a collecivte groan.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Harrison's the correct choice.

4. outofplace

I agree, though I am surprised that the correct choice was made. The voters actually had to look beyond the sack total on this one.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Albert Haynesworth and Ed Reed are the two best defensive players in football, in my opinion. I think Haynesworth should have won the award, but Harrison isn't a bad choice.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

IMO Ed Reed should have won. Although Harrison (and Ware) have legitimate claims to it. Any of the three were worthy.

7. Hammer Pants

No love for the best player at the most critical non-QB position on the field?

8. outofplace

Reed does not have an impact on nearly as many plays as Harrison does. He absolutely belongs in the top five, but behind Harrison, Haynesworth, Ware and Polamalu.

Harrison and Haynesworth are tougher to compare, though both are playmakers who open up opportunities for their teammates simply by their presence on the field.

I had the advantage of watching Harrison every week. The Steelers have had playmakers at that spot, but they were often guys like Joey Porter who took great advantage of Dick LeBeau's schemes with their speed. Harrison can do that, too, but he can also beat tackles one-on-one, which allows LeBeau to be a little less aggressive and still get a pass rush.

I only sat down and watched most of a Titans game twice. Once was the ugly loss to the Jets. The other time, I saw the Titans' defensive front destroy the Steelers without Haynesworth. That same game, Harrison was hurt early. He played parts of the game after he was hurt and got the Steelers' only sack of the day, but he wasn't 100 percent and the run defense wasn't at its usual levels without him.

I can see the argument for Haynesworth, but I think Harrison was better this year.

9. Hammer Pants

Haynesworth is usually the best player on the field when he wants to be the best player on the field. That's been the case in college and the NFL, but his motor has improved with age. He routinely plows through double teams and simply caves in the pocket by himself. He and KVB are a really, really good duo.

I'd really like a DT to win this award. I wish there was a way to get linemen more awards (anyone watch Bama in the Sugar Bowl without Andre Smith???).

But, like I said, Harrison is damn good, too. I have no problem with him winning the award.

10. outofplace

No argument regarding talent. Haynesworth does have more ability, but he doesn't show up all the time and Harrison does.

11. Hammer Pants

Also, I'm not aware of Harrison ever stepping on a dude's face with his cleats.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That you know of.

Draft saved Draft deleted