1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL cuts - and Goodell takes 20 percent pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Goodell taking a hit, too!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/professional/professional_football/article/NFLGAT25_20090225-105403/215344/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's been implied in several places that the NFL is taking advantage of the current economic climate to make cuts it probably doesn't need to make.

Good for Goodell though.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Considering how prosperous the NFL has been over the years, I'm inclined to agree with Mizzou's comment about the NFL arguably not needing to make the cuts it's making.

Having said that, does Goodell taking a pay cut show a magnanimous side to Iron Roger?

4. Mizzougrad96

For the record, I think a lot of companies are making cuts they don't need to make because it can go under the radar in this economic climate.

As far as Goodell, I definitely think it was a calculated move, but it was a good one any way you look at it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bud Selig should be taking notes.

6. Mizzougrad96

So should David Stern, who makes more than Goodell and Selig combined if I'm not mistaken.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

If your heart is in the right place, you don't issue a release about it, you just do it.
    Sorry, this is just more PR BS.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The NFL is hurting a bit -- individual team and overall league revenues. This is not entirely made up. But it's also not hurting as much as they are going to portray over the next year. They have a CBA expiring and if that happens 2010 is an uncapped year that will throw the NFL into turmoil. And they are going to sitting down to negotiate a new agreement. It's to their benefit to plea extreme poverty. What we are seeing right now is what has been an ongoing negotiation through a series of gestures by each side.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I disagree.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He would if he could read, or write.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

AP story says, "the NFL confirmed Wednesday," so I'm not so sure the NFL actually sent out a PR release. There wouldn't be a need for the NFL to confirm it had the NFL sent out the info to begin with.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted