1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL COY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 5, 2006.

?

Who is the coach of the year through 75 percent of the season?

1. Eric Mangini, Jets

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Sean Payton, Saints

41 vote(s)
    67.2%
  3. Brian Billick, Ravens

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One game, not that big a difference. Basically, we're making the same argument but for two different coaches.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but Oz your argument is WRONG. Stupid head.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's Sean Payton and, as already said, it's not close.

Let's see - Carolina was supposed to be a Super Bowl contender. Atlanta was supposed to be a contender in the NFC South (we won't get into you-know-who ... no point in starting an ugly threadjack) and Tampa - strictly because of Jon Gruden - was supposed in the mix for a wild card.

New Orleans' rap sheet: Unproven QB - with the Saints, anyway - getting back from a shoulder reconstruction, a dynamic running back that was supposed to start up a ego war with Deuce McAllister, untapped talent at wideout besides Joe Horn, nothing special about the offensive line and a defense that hasn't made anyone forget about the Dome Patrol. Don't forget the uncertainly surrounding the franchise and city following some little weather issue there.

So now Brees is a near-lock for a spot in Honolulu, Reggie Bush is showing fans and experts flashes of the talent he obviously possesses, McAllister is still doing his thing - quietly and with class - the line is doing a pretty job keeping Brees' jersey fairly clean and giving Deuce some running lines. Oh yeah ... now suddenly Scott Fujita - a pretty underrated linebacker with strong intangibles - is perhaps New Orleans' first name linebacker that anyone outside the Bayou knows since the Dome Patrol (pick any one of those four ... doesn't matter), the defensive line which had a lot of high draft picks is putting the talent on display and is helping to cover a so-so secondary.

Oh yeah: The Saints are leading the NFC South - a division where they were supposed to finish fourth, maaaybe third if Gruden couldn't rescue Tampa this year - by two games.

Yeah ... I think I'll take Sean Payton for $200, Alex.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's Payton or Mangini...nobody else even close.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sean Payton has made a huge impact on the Saints, but right now, Drew Brees is right up there in the MVP discussions. He was a good quarterback before, so his performance can't be chalked up to Payton. Deuce and Reggie Bush made for two great options out of the backfield. Joe Horn's solid, and the front office did well to draft two stud rookie wideouts. Yes, he gutted the roster and brought in like 24 new guys. But the core was there.

Mangini's doing it with Chad Pennington -- did anyone think he would last more than four weeks? -- at quarterback, not to mention Leon Washington and Kevan Barlow at running back. Not quite Deuce and Reggie Bush.

Oh, and Mangini's in the playoff race in the AFC. Who isn't in the race in the NFC?

Bottom line, so long as it's Payton or Mangini, you can't really make a wrong decision there.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Oz. You've been around here long enough to know that, yes, in fact, you CAN really make a wrong decision here.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just stunned Columbo hasn't come by to set me straight already. He must be counting down the seconds to when the Marlins' spring training opens.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saban, for dicking around with college jobs while his team is struggling (at the moment, unsuccessfully) to stay out of last place in the AFC East.

The Saban nutbag-lickers respond, "well golly, how is a coach supposed to win when his quarterbacks consist of Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington."

Hold it right there. Saban has complete control of player personnel. If the quarterbacks on his roster suck, it's on him.

The other finalist for worst coach has to be Marinelli, who has done enough fucking stupid shit my fingers'd get sore if I wasted the time to type it all out, but he's also getting a free pass from morons claiming most of all the offensive roster idiocy is the doing of either a) Martz, or b), Millen.

Well, that certainly may be, in fact it probably is, true, but Marinelli knew the track records of both Martz and Millen coming in, and whatever else he said at the happy-happy joy-joy press conferences, in his heart of hearts he should have looked in the mirror and said, "this might be my only shot at being an NFL head coach, and if either of these fucknozzles start fucking it up, I am going to get up in public and scream to high heaven that it AIN'T MY FAULT."

So it would get him fired? Who fuckin' cares?? Like getting fired by Matt Millen is going to be a BAD thing in the NFL job market of the next several years??

If Marinelli disagrees with anything either Martz or Millen are doing, he should be sounding off in the media like a banshee about how their moronic moves are further tanking the franchise, and if he DOESN'T disagree with them, well, then, it's all on him. Idiot.

Who's done the BEST job? Hell, that's Payton, by a mile. Next, probably Lovie, then Mangini. Schottenheimer is in a position where the AFC award might be his to lose.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What core was there?

Pennington will be on plenty of MVP ballots.

That said, if the Saints lose Sunday, and the Jets win, I do think it gets really tight thru 13 games.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Any coach stuck putting up with Terrell Owens' bullshit deserves COY. Especially after that shit Owens said about not even listening to the coach.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The fake suicide attempt, the Lance Armstrong outfit, ignoring the how-to-win-a-championship speech ... Parcells lets it all roll off his back.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, he won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted