1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL coverage: sidelines vs. press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mikebb13, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mikebb13

mikebb13 Member

I covered my first NFL game Sunday, and I covered it on the sidelines since I had a photo credential. Here's my question: in terms of access, pro, cons or whatever, what does the covering the game from the press box offer that covering it from the sidelines does not, and vice versa?

2. 85bears

85bears Member

For one thing, a writer would have a hard time from the field recognizing coverages and so forth or being able to see who pops open, what the defensive schemes are, etc. It just looks like a jumbled mess from field level - that's why so many offensive and defensive coordinators work from the booth, as well.

3. moonlight

moonlight Member

There's better food in the press box.

4. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

Why people want to cover football from the sidelines is beyond me. You can't see anything. And where is your workspace? Get up in press box with the real writers.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, cheerleaders are right there in front of you...

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i know you didn't cover it at my local nfl hut -- they keep track of every person on the sideline and if you have a photographer credential you sure as hell better have a camera

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Might be a decent place if you're working on a sidebar. But for gamers, forget it.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if you're on the sideline and not shooting, aren't you just getting in somebody's way who is trying to shoot?

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

all i know is that i've had plenty of experiences where some dimwit comes and stands right in front of me just to watch when i've been trying to get a shot. and at 6-6 and 300-plus, it's not exactly like they didn't see me standing there with a camera to my eye.

10. mikebb13

mikebb13 Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I had a photo credential since I was shooting, and decided to try my hand at writing a story on it too (since basic AP doesn't give us much stuff east of the Mississippi, and Nashville is our second-closest NFL market, barely behind St. Louis). It's nothing big, but I thought some pointers would be nice...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My ex-girlfriend was/is a photographer and she covered several Cowboys games with me. They make the photogs wear a string of ribbon pinned to the back of their shoulders, I guess for quick ID purposes. But I digress.

Yes, the press box is the far better place for doing a gamer because of all the stats, replays, etc. available. If you were, say, doing a T.O. sidebar, then sure, hit the sidelines.

Draft saved Draft deleted