1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL considers lifetime ban/PacMan gets a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

If a player is suspended for more than one season with pay the team would probably sue too.

2. Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

I don't have one handy but I'm not sure he's done enough yet to justify being banned for his entire career, or even a season. But at the rate he's going ...

3. girl friday

girl friday Member

I don't think he's done enough to get banned for life -- yet -- either. But right now the thinking is he'll get a year anyway.

Here's what I can find:
    Oct. 2006: Arrested for misdemeanor assault for spitting in a woman's face at a nightclub
    March 2006: Arrested for marijuana possession (dismissed)
    Feb. 2006: Obstructing police (allegedly had a physical altercation with an officer)
    **Jones kept these two events from Titans' officials, which is a no-no
    July 2005: arrested for assault and felony vandalism

There's also the Vegas incident; police have recommended to the DA that Pacman be charged with felony coercion, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor threat to life.

4. Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

This doesn't include college. He was involved in at least two legal scrapes during his stay in Mo'town.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can't see the NFL including issues that arose before a player was in the league.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's the NFL; it does what it wants..
    I would say it depends on the severity of the issue, but I'm not a commissioner or a lawyer.

7. girl friday

girl friday Member

Does anyone know what type of incidents he was in at WVU?

I don't think those incidents can/should impact the NFL's decision, but depending on what they were, they certainly should have impacted the Titans' decision to make him a high first-round draft pick and give him a boatload of money...

8. Re: NFL chief considers lifetime ban

Bar fights. Including one where he assualted a fellow (don't laugh) student with a pool cue.
    There is a clearly a pattern..

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is incredibly naive. Professional athletes, like employees in most highly skilled professions, are selected based on their skill level alone. That's it. There are no points for community service or having a good attitude. Miss Congeniality goes home.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm sorry, but this isn't exactly true.

You could be the best engineer at NASA, but if you get pinched for drugs, your career at NASA is over. Maybe you'll get a new engineering job at another location, but you won't be making nearly as much and it won't be nearly as prestigious.

Nobody wants a criminal on their payroll. Nobody wants a salesman showing up at a customer location after that customer just read his name in the paper for getting arrested for rape.

11. girl friday

girl friday Member

It's not naive. Richard Seymour was the number six pick in the draft four years before Pacman was and he's a good guy -- and a five-time Pro Bowler. You can find talented players who aren't going to have the owner/GM/coach/PR guy up at nights chewing Tums and fielding calls from both the police and media wondering what the resident malcontent has done this time.

Will players occasionally get in trouble? Of course, just like anyone in society. But if you -- or some great accountant or ad exec or construction worker -- was questioned by police 10 times in two-plus years and all you had as an excuse was "I hang out with the wrong people", I don't think you'd be holding a job for very long.

Talent only gets you so far. At some point you have to be held accountable for doing stupid sh!t on a regular basis.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Richard Seymour was picked sixth because he was that talented. No other reason. There are plenty of incredibly nice people playing professional sports, too. They aren't playing professional sports because they're nice people. They're playing because they're talented enough to help the team win games and make money.

Draft saved Draft deleted