1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Conference Championship Sunday: Blake Bortles' Date With Destiny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nantz began as a golf announcer and it's obviously still the sport closest to his heart. In golf, unlike almost every other sport, fans root hard for the favorite or favorites to win and commentary is pretty sycophantic as a matter of course.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the Super Bowl were a split-squad matchup between Jacksonville's A team and Jacksonville's B Team, it would still be the most watched television program this year by 50 million viewers

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True, but you know he's chummy with Kraft more so than he is with, say, the Rooneys or Jim Irsay or any other AFC owner. And he gets bonus time with Belichick every year at the Pebble Beach pro-am. Familiarity breeds comfort but I think it runs a little deeper here.

4. playthrough

Of course it would. But if it was Dallas-Pittsburgh it would be the most-watched by 100 million.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Proof positive this world needs a LOT fewer Cowboys and Steelers fans.

Jeez, those teams became "national" when I was 11 years old. And it's not like they've had 45 years of sustained championship material, either. As of two years ago the Cowboys were one victory ahead of the Jets since 2000.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. playthrough

Sure, but the nostalgia factor of a matchup like that would be through the roof in addition to present-day hype (God help us if Jerry Jones ever gets to a Super Bowl). The media would be touting the teams and the Super Bowl. If it's Jax-Minny, it's just ... a Super Bowl.

7. Michael_ Gee

The Cowboys and Steelers have lots of fans for the same reason people still watch NCIS -- older people get stuck in their ways.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nantz's reputation of having a soft spot for the Patriots goes back well before this season and it is absolutely deserved. Not that it's a huge issue, but I think the Patriots fanboy thing is clouding your perceptions on this one.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Part of it is loyalty. People were drawn to those teams in the '70s and stayed with them.

The Cowboys also had that second run in the '90s. The Steelers didn't have that, though they have won two more Super Bowls and appeared in two others since the '70s, but they have been fairly consistent. I think since the '70s their longest streak of missing the playoffs is three years, maybe four. They may have had a huge gap between Super Bowl victories, but they are always hanging around in contention.

10. Michael_ Gee

Well, you go to the Super Bowl with the matchups you have, not the ones you want. I assume NBC would prefer Vikings-Pats, for the ultra-easy defending champ dynasty versus plucky home town favorite hype angle.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Like I agreed with.
    Just adding that it's not just a Patriots thing. He's a front-runner trying to get on the good side of the winners.
    I think if we take away anything from Nantz it's that nobody really says "oh boy, so great Jim Nantz is calling my team's game today." CBS should replace him with Eagle or Kevin Harlan.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know I am in the minority, but I think Nantz is very good on NFL, and especially since getting Romo, he's been energized. Just looking at the other network's A teams, I find him much better than Buck, McDonough or Michaels. Michaels is like my old cell phone battery before I replaced it. Just got less and less use out of it as it aged. Michael's nasally delivery and odd way of not matching his tone to the importance of the action on the field leaves me wanting.

As far as perceived Nantz bias - I watch the games, and I don't hear it. The Patriots win everything practically every year. Not sure what you are expecting - should he be ripping Brady a new one while he's holding up another Lombardi?

Draft saved Draft deleted