1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Conference Championship Sunday: Blake Bortles' Date With Destiny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 15, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that is really why Nantz fawns over the Patriots so much, but I honestly didn't realize how much smaller Jacksonville is compared to even Pittsburgh, which is 23rd.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Will Nantz give Bortles more than one question if the Jags do win?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. I can't imagine too many worse matchups for TV than Vikings-Jaguars. Vikings at home would be a nice angle but won't bring in many new viewers.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Nantz' "fawning" over the Patriots is the same as Joe Buck's "fawning" over the Yankees.

5. Would be right up there with Detroit native Jerome Bettis playing in the Super Bowl. In Detroit!

6. playthrough

Apologies if I'm misreading, but do you really think Nantz doesn't have a soft spot for the Pats?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

playthrough, you're addressing the poster who used to get pissed when somebody would dare suggest anybody on the Patriots was injury prone.

8. Rhody31

It's perception.
    Nantz "loves" whoever he's covering. Since CBS does the AFC, that's half the league. He only covers the "big" game each week, so that narrows it to a few teams.
    -Patriots
    -Whoever Peyton was playing for
    -Steelers

That's it.
    I used to HATE Joe Buck, thinking he was pro-Yankee, anti-Red Sox. It took several years - and a couple Sox titles to make me stop being a conspiracy freak - to realize it seemed like that because for quite a few years, Buck would do Yankee-Red Sox games and the Yankees would win.
    Nantz has a soft spot for whoever is in first. He does it with golf and basketball. The perception of it only gets magnified by the fact he's done seven Pats games this year, but six in the last nine weeks.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I never understood why people care about this, and I don't even think it's true. Are you not going to a Superbowl party because Jacksonville will be playing instead of the Patriots?

I Should Coco, Batman and Rhody31 like this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think people would love game equal to last Sunday's Vikings vs. 53rd largest TV market.

With the exception of Tom Brady, you could have every member of the Texans put on Patriots jerseys for the Super Bowl (with Patriots' players names on the back), and a large percentage of viewers would never know the difference.

It's laundry and "storylines" and not what actually goes on between the sidelines.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. Rhody31

Pot. Kettle.
    Watch a replay of the AFC Championship game from last year. Nantz tongue-bathes them both pretty good in the first half.
    You can usually pinpoint when a game turns based on when Nantz stops talking about a team.

I wish CBS would dump him for Ian Eagle, who IMO is better but gets brought down on his broadcasts by Dan Fouts, who should have his HoF jacket taken from him for the stupidity that comes out of his mouth.

12. playthrough

Oh, of course I'm going. But this hasn't been the NFL's strongest year in a number of ways and the casual fans are slipping. There's obviously a built-in huge audience for the SB but a national matchup puts it over the top. Just look at Divisional Round ratings from last year to this year. Last year had Dallas-Green Bay, which was a monster.

Draft saved Draft deleted