1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Combine Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He could be a Zach Thomas-style plugger. But as Dick and I (and others) have been arguing for months, he is not an elite talent. Put him on Georgia's defense and he never sniffs the DAC, dead girlfriend or no.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tyrann Mathiew rings in on bench press with 4 reps. I guess he was not spending the last 6 months in the weight room.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not a hot stove, or trades guy, or fantasy or any of that stuff.

But I love Combine week.

Keep up the news. I love this stuff.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still think he's going to be drafted higher than people think. I'll bet he's gone by the fourth round.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've heard these same names today from Notre Dame alums I know. They seem to have quickly distributed the talking points. (Not saying you're parroting or anything - but they are.)

These guys are all exceptions to the rule. Most guys with Te'o's measurables do not end up being productive NFL linebackers, and certainly not stars. He didn't look like an exception to the rule against Alabama, that's for sure.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Currently Bowe isn't under contract. Gonna be tough to trade him.

7. Mizzougrad96

He's undersized and slow... Great combination...

He reminds me a bit of AJ Hawk, who was just a beast in college who has been a good pro, but never lived up to his billing as a top 5 pick... Hawk had 4.5 speed though...

Te'o was overrated because he played for Notre Dame. I agree that if he's on half of the SEC teams, he's not even the best LB on the roster.

8. Mizzougrad96

They can tag him and trade him.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yes but most teams are scared shitless about dealing with him because he's so inconsistent. I'm not sure what you could get for him, because he would also demand a big contract.

10. Mizzougrad96

You don't see a lot of tag and trade in the NFL for the reason you just stated... The Pats did it with Cassel. I know there are others... A team isn't going to give up too much for a WR, even one as good as Bowe if they have to turn around and sign him to a monster deal, but they might be able to get a third-round pick out of the deal... They just have to be careful, because if they can't find a taker, they have $10 million or so going against this season's cap.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, he had a million interceptions.

I just think he was the product of those defensive tackles they had, who are very good and will be first-round picks soon enough. He was a big-time recruit coming out of high school, though, and had been playing for a long time as a productive starter at Notre Dame, so it wasn't exactly a stretch for people to jump to the conclusion that he was making things happen.

12. Mizzougrad96

He was a great college player. He'll be a solid pro. He'll be a starter if not as a rookie than no later than his second year...

Everything you read about seems to indicate that he has a great work ethic. He'll improve his 40 time by Notre Dame's pro day and he'll be drafted probably early in the second round with a chance to sneak into the first.

He just doesn't have the speed or the size of most LBs who are taken in the first round.

Draft saved Draft deleted