1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL.com -- Associate Editor (Culver City, Calif.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dayville, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dayville

Dayville New Member

https://www.nfl.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=232&CurrentPage=1

Job Title: Associate Editor
    Position Type: Full Time - Regular
    City: Culver City
    State: California
    Travel Requirements: 0% - 25%
    Education Requirements: • 5-7 years editorial experience, preferably in online medium and in the sports industry
    • Must be willing and able to work nights and weekends
    • Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred
    • Strong written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
    • Proven NFL knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
    • Strong computer skills familiarity with electronic communication
    • Some knowledge of HTML and Photoshop preferred

Years of Experience: 5-7

Description: • Serve as “top lieutenant” to senior editor in charge of features, working closely to build daily content packages for the site
    • Establish relationships with writers and analysts in order to build trust through the editing process
    • Select, prioritize, edit and post content of all types (text, video, photo, audio, etc.)
    • Demonstrate news judgment in editing and story selection consistent with NFL.com's editorial policies.
    • Edit copy and write headlines in a fast-paced, deadline environment
    • Monitor wire feeds and other outside sources to ensure that the latest NFL news is represented on the site
    • Ensure that all content is grammatically correct and factually accurate
    • Ensure that writing style used is consistent with NFL.com's editorial policies
    • Re-write or re-work news reports to blend information from multiple sources in adherence to NFL.com's editorial policies
    • Serve as initial contact for reporters in the field and pull together reaction to breaking news stories
    • Write headlines, select photos and write photo captions
    • Combine related content (text, video, photos, etc.) into lead packages on NFL.com

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know a friend/former co-worker who works there and likes it.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I applied for this gig in the fall of 2009 and was down to the final few. I didn't end up getting the job, but the hiring manager, Jim Loftus was as professional as anyone I had done business with. Never left me hanging told me exactly why I didn't get the job. Didn't soften the blow by saying "we found someone better." Straight up said I needed to get stronger in my copy editing. And you know what, he was completely right. I did.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions that I might be able to answer let me know. But I'm sure if Dayville works there or Jim is still around they could do a better job.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I worked with Jim in Sacramento. He's a pro. Great guy.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Damn, you and I should have commiserated about this one. I was also, at least according to Jim, one of the final 3 for the opening a couple years back.
    And I'll echo everything you said about Jim. Fantastic guy, and I'm disappointed I didn't get the chance to work with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted