1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 21, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No chance they trade Eli.
    They LOVE Eli.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Fisher will wind up back in Houston.

3. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Cowher will go to Dallas. No way will be go somewhere where Jones is the GM.

Carolina doesn't want to pay what it would take to get Cowher.

Houston makes sense and could be choosing between Cowher and Fisher. If the Texans go with Cowher, I wonder where Fisher wi

Apparently Holmgren will target Gruden or Mornhinweg if he fires Mangini.

4. Mizzougrad96

The Miami Herald makes it sound like Sparano is gone as well. I wonder if Cowher could wind up there.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Saprano will be gone. I'd be shocked if Cowher chose to go there. Tough division, terrible QB situation. Toro's decision to pass on Matt Ryan will haunt them for a decade.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We've seen the Mornhinweg HC show before.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

7. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

San Francisco interim coach Jim Tomsula was helping as an assistant coach at the Division II college near my old shop not too long ago. Kinda cool.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

spnited is correct. if the giants fire coughlin, fox will be their no. 1 choice to replace him. john mara loves him and fox is a defense-oriented, ball-control-styled coach. my theory on eli is that he has been very poorly coached. coughlin/gilbride run an offense that puts too much pressure on the qb to throw way too many high-risk passes. eli is never protected by dink-and-dunk passing, which is often the best way to go. this is a sport where the most important player's success is not just based on his talent but also the system he plays in. we see it all over the league. is there a better example than matt cassel?

my opinion: coughlin is a wonderful coach who is underappreciated by fans because he isn't warm and cuddly and behaves like a raving lunatic on the sideline. head coach's have a finite lifespan in one place and i agree coughlin's time is probably up; the players need a new voice.

i'm not a big perry fewell guy. fox should bring in a defensive coordinator he is more comfy with or run the defense himself for a while. and a new offensive coordinator is a must.

9. Mizzougrad96

According to ESPN, the Niners are going after Harbaugh.

As a lifelong Niners fan, I like the move.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's not in the Giants' DNA to hire the likes of Cowher

Now, they MAY . . . but it would take a marked seachange in Giant thinking.

Fox fits their profile, only perfectly.

But this year was a classic case of imagined Giant entitlement which didn't jibe with prevailing league realities.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

my man shockey, with far greater knowledge of the subject than me, nails every point about how things operate in the Meadowlands.

12. Mizzougrad96

I think those of us who watch too much ESPN just assumed that the Giants were dumping Coughlin to hire Cowher because it seems to have been beaten into our heads that that's the job Cowher wants.

I believe spnited and shockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted