1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What makes Cowher an upgrade over Coughlan?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

30 percent.

No way in hell.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Cowher isn't going anywhere that doesn't have a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl.

I know a guy who knows him and that's one of his requirements, along with ownership that's committed and doesn't meddle. That's why the Giants are so appealing to him. Mara ownership is the most stable this side of the Rooneys.

People connect him to Carolina because he likes living there, but his situation has changed radically since his wife died and two of his daughters are out on their own. He can go coach someplace for five years, make millions more, then retire happily to NC while he waits for his Hall of Fame call.

If there's not a good match for him this year, he can stay at CBS and keep making nice money with a high profile until the next good opportunity comes along.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Cowher is holding out for the Giants job. Even if Coughlin survives this year (and they're not dead yet), he can't have many more years left. The Giants are very close to a championship-caliber club, and that's a situation worth waiting for in Cowher's mind.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So the new Panthers coach is only going to be around for one year?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. These last two weeks especially his teams have been flat and unmotivated. His offensive coordinator, Brain Daboll, has been terrible for most of the last two years. If those two left and Rob Ryan was promoted to head coach I think the team would be better for it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that the Browns will contend for the playoffs next year as long as McCoy can stay healthy.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Panthers are unwilling to pay what it would take to get Cowher.

Holmgren to San Fran would be interesting, but the Niners need a longterm fix and I think if Holmgren coaches anywhere, it would be in Cleveland.

I think if there's a coach who can buck the college coaches sucking in the NFL trend, it's Harbaugh. Also, for whatever reason, Stanford coaches have done pretty well in the NFL.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Based on that, Cowher should go to Detroit. Matt Stafford has a lot of options, and Bill Ford doesn't play games with his coaches. He spends money.

Of course that would have to happen after next year when Schwartz gets fired. And yes, Schwartz will get fired after his third straight losing season. No, it won't be entirely his fault. He may be very succesful somewhere. But they are the Lions and even though they could be a 10-6 team next year... someone will get hurt, someone will flame out, something dumb will happen, and they will end up 6-10.

9. Flying Headbutt

If I'm the Lions I leave Schwartz alone until after 2013 at the earliest.

10. Flying Headbutt

Daboll's playcalling has all the imagination of a stick figure. There was a stretch when that wasn't so -- and they started winning games -- but the last 3-4 games I've seen he's been pretty mundane. Maybe some of that has to do with having Delhomme in there, but I didn't see much effort put in to limiting what Delhomme was asked to do.

I don't disagree they could use an AJ Green, or the guy from Oklahoma State. Someone who is a big play receiver (though the same was said a few years ago with Braylon, whoops) is the biggest weak spot on that side of the ball. But this team seems to make no adjustments as the game goes on and simply isn't led by the guy who can make them win.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Lions typically give their coaches more than enough time. The exception was Mooch, who all but begged to be fired. He hated Joey Harrington that much.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Marvin Lewis' contract is up. Plus, I seem to recall that instead of signing an extension after last season's division title, he made demands of the team to make upgrades, which allegedly included hiring a GM.

Mike Brown no likey. Plus, they've been awful. So he gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted