1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Coaching Carousel 2012-13 running thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You trying to tell me Mularkey is escaping any scrutiny in this regard?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know it's new ownership, but I don't think the Jags are the type of team to cut a guy loose after one season...
    Plus, who better than Mularkey to teach Matt Barkley or Geno Smith?

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The problem with Dallas is they have a very mediocre schedule the rest of the way — only the Steelers have a winning record — so it's conceivable the Cowboys win 6 of their last 8 games, finish 9-7, and show signs of taking off. More fools gold for Jerry to point to as he proclaims his team "contenders" next season.

4. Mizzougrad96

To be fair, Marty got himself fired in San Diego. After Phillips left for Dallas, he demanded that his brother get the DC job. Smith said no and the result was he got fired.

Marty is a great coach during the regular season, but nobody's ever sorry when he leaves.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, because Mularkey has done such a bang-up job with Gabbert.
    The one thing that keeps bothering me about Mularkey is that when Del Rio was hired by Wayne Weaver in 2003, Mularkey was the second or third choice (Kirk Ferentz was in the mix). What happened between 2003-2012 to somehow push Mularkey to first choice? (I know ... different owners).
    Mularkey is in the same denial Del Rio was last year. "We just have to go back to work ... we're only a few plays away in these games ... blah, blah."
    One thing's for sure: GM Gene Smith is gone because he drafted most of this sorry bunch.

6. Mizzougrad96

If they hire a new GM, that would change Mularkey's job status considerably. Sometimes GMs get stuck with a coach they inherited, but not usually when a coach goes 3-13 or 4-12 or however the Jags will finish this season.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm banking on it. The last thing you want is a full-on disaster that forces Jerry to go out and do something smart like hire Sean Payton.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know he has a history with the franchise and owns a house in the area, but why would a Super Bowl-winning coach who can have pretty much any job that comes open, not to mention get wheelbarrows full of money thrown at him by the Saints, want anything to do with coaching the Cowboys and all the dysfunctional player/megalomaniac owner baggage that comes with it?

9. LongTimeListener

I don't know if Benson would go as far up the scale as Jerry. If Jerry wants someone, nobody goes as far up the scale as Jerry.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think Frazier is tied to Ponder at this point. He'll rise and fall with his QB. Right now, that's not looking like a winning bet.

That said, I think the change will come in 2013, not 2012.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I agree with that, but how many more millions of dollars is worth all the bullshit?

12. LongTimeListener

Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi, and about a thousand other pro sports figures can provide that answer.

It isn't the more millions. It's the idea of Sean Payton getting a stiffy about being the highest-paid coach EVAH!

Draft saved Draft deleted