1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Class of 2009 HOF Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 31, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about Cris Carter. He'll get in, just not yet. That's what is screwy about the pro football HOF.

Yet even with his 'reputation rehab' of his time with the Vikings from 1994 to about 2000, you still have these facts about CC: Coach-killer at Ohio State (signed with an agent, became ineligible, led to Earle Bruce getting fired, largely, because of him), cokehead with Philly, became a very good possession receiver with the Vikings but couldn't make any deep runs in the playoffs until he had Randy Moss on the other side.

My image of Cris Carter with the Vikings is not of holding NFC or Super Bowl trophies. It's of him screaming at assistant coaches, Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss or Denny Green. It's being one of the great diva receivers of his time. (To contrast, when Michael Irvin had his own issues with Dallas...Irvin ALWAYS showed up to play on Game Day. Always.)

It's of Carter using his faith as a shield in his final years in Minnesota but doing so much in the way of backstabbing in his own locker room.

Sure, he'll get into the HOF but I have a feeling there may not be too many other ex-teammates watching him sweat, in person, when he has the yellow jacket on in Canton.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Last play. My dad came home from Arrowhead depressed.

My favorite DT game was the Montana vs. 49ers game. DT beat the piss out of Steve Young all day, including sacking him for a safety.

It's great that DT is finally in. He's an all-time great, and he deserves his spot in Canton. Now, if they can somehow work Otis Taylor in ...

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not even close.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Then Carter ain't getting next year, either.

Again, they ain't watching the games. Best hands I have ever seen.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Football hall is still better than baseball. Postseason gets weighed properly in NFL.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Typical Simon hyperbole regarding Carter. He deserves to be in, but it's no travesty he's not. If he's still on the outside looking in in five years, then you've got an argument. Right now, he obviously rubbed a few people the wrong way and they're making him pay for it. I'm sure his pennance will be up in the next year or two. As for the comparison between Carter and Irvin, I'd take Carter. Carter was more than a possession receiver; he was a playmaker, moreso than Irvin, whose nickname was not deserved.

7. Simon_Cowbell

He retired with the second-most TD catches, receptions and yards in NFL history. Behind only Rice.

Don't give me your rationalizing horseshit.

It is the most egregious dereliction of duty these rat fuck voters have ever perpetrated.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Like I said, hyperbole at its finest.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the HOF voters really penalize players who have been in trouble for recreational drug use. That's the only reason I can think that Irvin had to wait a couple years and Carter is being forced to wait. I know LT got in first ballot, but he's one of the 10 best to ever play in the NFL IMO...

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fear could play a part in the LT decision.

By that point, there was no guarantee ole' 56 wouldn't be high on crack and come to the house of every HOF voter, behead them and feed the remains to his dogs.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So how do you really feel?

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

BS. Art Monk retired as the league's career receiving leader, held the record for catches in a season and had three Super Bowl rings, and he had to wait how long? Seven or eight years? And there are still many who will argue he doesn't belong.

So spare me the "biggest travesty ever" crapola.

Draft saved Draft deleted