1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 13, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Immaculate Reception didn't keep the Raiders out of the Super Bowl. It kept them from facing the undefeated Dolphins in the AFC Championship game. Not that John Madden, the players or the teams' fans would ever consider stopping their bitching about it nearly 50 years later. You just know that Madden is going to curse Frenchy Fuqua with his dying breath.

Of course, Madden and his former players love to complain about the bad break in that game while forgetting the good fortune they had to face the '76 Steelers without Harris and Bleier, who that year had become the first pair of NFL running backs on the same team to go over 1,000 yards in the same season. (I know Boogie pointed it out earlier.) It is certainly possible that the Raiders would have beaten the Steelers in the playoffs that season anyway, but it is just as possible that they would have lost to the Dolphins the next week if the Immaculate Reception had been ruled an incomplete pass.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No Super Bowl Thread?
    Will Kobe Bryant's death suck all the air out of the pre-game hype?

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

I think the last act of the Kobe story will be Tuesday's Laker game. Sad to say, people have become quite adept and moving on from news like this. And figure something else will come along.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the endless clusterfuckery if there had been replay and social media back then.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With all due respect, this is insane.

You do understand the Lakers will be in the playoffs, right?

8. DanOregon

Of course, I'm just saying as being an A1 thing. Our media digestive systems have become quite adept at absorbing news and seeking new things to consume. A story like this is everywhere, and then when the internet activity dies down, media producers look for something else. Super Bowl hype or whatnot.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And there will be a funeral(s). And there will be a city-wide remembrance culminating with some sort of show at Staples.

10. outofplace

Actually, I think the lack of such things are part of why it went on so long. A current game would have more angles and better shots, so we probably would see more clearly if something illegal happened. That there is no definitive video allows for all the speculation and bullshit.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

‘72 Dolphins were the first with two 1,000 rushers. Csonka had over 1,100 yards and Morris had an even 1,000.

12. outofplace

My bad. Forgot about that. I believe the total is seven now, including Jackson and Ingram for the Ravens this season.

The '72 Dolphins and '76 Steelers were the only tandems to do it before the big changes opened up offenses in 1978. It was still an absolute killer for that Pittsburgh team to have to face the Raiders in the playoffs without both backs.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted