1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

A lot of people missed the Chiefs defense improving significantly over the past two months.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You could also argue that the NFC North has been the most winnable conference outside the AFC East in that span. Not another SB champion in the division in that time - and only one other appearance.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Really. They should have been the NFC's version of the Patriots. The Bears and Vikings have had some good teams in the last 20 years -- better than anything the AFC East had to offer -- but nothing consistently great. And yet the Packers have struggled to get over the hump. The one team they did win with might have been the least likely to do it of all their Favre/Rodgers teams since the back-to-back Super Bowls.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think their main issue is failure to gain home field in the playoffs during too many of those seasons. 3-5 in Conference championships - of those - they are just 1-1 in home games, all the others on the road.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Christ, this thread is priceless.A lot of great football takes over the years.

Would you rather be up 14 or 13? This is great football logic.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I
    It’s a division

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Was the same with Russell Wilson. He was doing American Family ads for years until he got paid.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Credit to Spagnolo. Someway, they made the adjustment to just get a couple of stops and that was enough as the offense woke up.

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Thing is, they lost home playoff games in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2011, and 2013.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting how one game can skew everything. I know you can look at a lot of games and say this, but since I follow the Saints somewhat closely, their bedshitting against the Falcons at home when Atlanta was 1-7 really fucked their season. Win that one--as they should--and they're 14-2, don't have to play Minnesota and get home field throughout. Their punishment for losing that one was deserved.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Same thing with the Pats losing to Miami in the last game. Lost out on the second seed and the bye week because their self-vaunted defense couldn't stop Ryan Fitzpatrick in the final drive. They deserved what they got too.

Cosmo likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's what's funniest ... what happened to the Dolphins in Week 1 when Lamar and the Ravens went nuts ... 42 points by halftime, 59 overall ... and what happened in Week 16 when the Dolphins -- the fucking awful Dolphins -- beat the Patriots which forced the Patriots to play an extra playoff game. And didn't the stat say that the Patriots haven't won any of their Super Bowls when they didn't open the playoffs with a bye?

The Dolphins did all of that.

The Saints' thing leaves out the butterfly effect so I don't buy into the whole "they'd'a'been 14-2" by beating the 1-7 Falcons.

Draft saved Draft deleted