1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL CEO vs. Div. I AD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kevin Morales, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

In light of Mark Murphy leaving Northwestern to become the new Packers president and CEO, I'm wondering what are the differences in responsibilities between an NFL president/CEO and a Division I athletic director?

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

No Title IX in NFL, for one.

3. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Seriously, can anyone shed some light on this for me? Are they pretty similar positions?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's probably more visble and obviously a bigger stage but Packers CEO seems like an easier job in a lot of respects -- one team, one schedule, one marketing plan, less personnel, etc.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No Salary cap in D-I

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's especially helpful if you're at an SEC school :D

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Also, just one sport to concentrate on. Plus, you don't have to rely on donations from wealthy alumni or money raised by boosters to help finance your program.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

In GB the team isn't quite as horseshit as the team in Evanston.

Plus he doesn't have a horseshit men's hoops team to deal with, too.

9. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

True. So as far as the actual responsibilities -- hiring and firing decisions, making budgets, working with the media dept., marking dept., etc., is it actually pretty similar?

The only reason I ask is because Murphy never worked in a front office before, so I was a bit surprised he was chosen. Just wondering if others have made the transition smoothly from an athletic director position?

Draft saved Draft deleted