1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Canadian Television deal goes to...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, May 23, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=208530&hubname=

I see that the Super Bowl is going to be on CTV. If Global could sink any lower in the ratings, it will happen now with the loss of NFL. Apparently, CTV approached the NFL. I wonder if this only happened after CTV realized they weren't going to get HNIC/NHL hockey deal. :-\

What will CTV go after next? Also, would the CBC have approached the NFL about hosting games there?

What does all the other CAN SJ's think about this move?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tough news for Global, all they'd do was promote the shit out of their Sunday night shows during the games. Does this mean the end for those awful "virtual" ads they used to?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Those Pizza Pizza and Canadian Tire "virtual" ads sucked.

CTV's a much better fit, with TSN & all.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. You thought you saw a lot of cross promotion on TSN before regarding the NFL and CFL. Wait until this year.

As long as my Bills stay on, I won't care! :)

5. Cansportschick

Well, it will liven up the CTV Sunday lineup for sure. I can't even tell you about the boring programming that's on right now. :eek: It's time they did something about it.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At the risk of being called a running Yankee imperialist dog or whatever it was when this topic was last broached, do you guys call the NFL "American football"?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, we call it the NFL. To differentiate it from the CFL.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or the "We got bigger balls" league. :)

(That was an embarrassing ad slogan for the CFL a number of years back)

9. Cansportschick

Do you remember that slogan? I just about died :eek: ;D

American football....for some reason I associate that with soccer and I am not sure why. ::)

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My brother still wears a shirt with that slogan on it. Funny, I remember some years back the Star did a story comparing the CFL and NFL ball and found little difference between the two.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I always thought the CFL said that because its players didn't use steroids as much.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Seems like the CFL could have used a little AC/DC music for that promotion.

Draft saved Draft deleted