1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL, Broadcast partners Close to New Deal *UPDATE -- New Deal Reached*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Re: NFL, Broadcast partners Close to New Deal

Elliotte, your analysis of the NFLPA position in the negotiations is exactly correct. For that matter, it's close to a description of the owners' position, too. The foreknowledge revenues would continue to grow made compromise relatively easy.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that, and it may put a crimp into what I was saying. My point was that the NFL doesn't need DirectTV to broadcast to mobile devices. It doesn't need the satellites or the infrastructure.

They just need someone to design a mobile app that can handle the streaming (and preferably with Red Zone. It can then reap ALL the revenue from the app, rather than sharing it with a broadcast partner.

The reason I brought up DirectTV is that it pays a shitload to have exclusive broadcast rights to the Sunday Ticket package. If the NFL wanted to stream all games to mobile devices, it would likely have to settle for less money from DirecTV (and probably Verizon, which has the Red Zone mobile).

I think with the way streaming video and mobile devices are advancing, it might be worth the risk that more people will put their money toward a mobile ticket package rather satellite or cable feeds.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I just found out you can watch Sunday Tickey through your PS3. Of course I find out in Week 13. Dammit.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a pretty big risk. DirecTV pays $1B a year for exclusivity.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a reason they pay that much. Because it's a guaranteed money maker. I'd go so far as to say there's almost no risk to the NFL taking direct control of its web-based broadcasting. It doesn't require all the hardware traditional broadcast media needs, and therefore the overhead is much lower.

I think the NFL will be leaving a huge chunk of money on the table in the next decade if it doesn't take control of its mobile media.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We shall see. The deal runs until 2014, and I'm sure DirecTV was smart enough to insulate itself until then.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All of the other major leagues have their tablet/mobile rights in house. Who knows what the broadband rights are worth separately, since they've been packaged with Sunday Ticket?

In the past, the NFL only signed with DirecTV because it didn't want to tick off the networks, who didn't like the idea of Sunday Ticket. On the flip side, DirecTV will do everything it can to keep Sunday Ticket, as it's the one of the advantages it has over Dish Network and cable.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have the NFL app on my ipad and the recent update indicates you can watch the Thursday night game on it

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's just cut-ins of the Thursday night games. Verizon has the stream, but it costs $10/month for mobile customers to see that and the Sunday night games.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If not that, just some common sense in scheduling, like avoiding cases like when the 49ers had to fly cross-country for the Thanksgiving game with the Ravens.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's been a lot of that this year.

Jets at Broncos
    49ers at Ravens
    Eagles at Seahawks

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I think this MNF year has been the worst in a long, long time. How do the Jaguars get so many MNF games and they don't even have a real head coach? Jags/Chargers tonight, yes!!!

Needs to be fixed in some regard as it is primetime. I would love to see the ratings for some of the night games this year, such as Colts/Saints on SNF.

Draft saved Draft deleted