1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL, Broadcast partners Close to New Deal *UPDATE -- New Deal Reached*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gotta hand it to the NFL, the numbers just continue to grow.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Re: NFL, Broadcast partners Close to New Deal

There's nothing else good on, the secret of NFL success for over half a century now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The NFL has enough power that people will accept listening to Jon Gruden for three hours. That's product loyalty.

I wonder if this contract will include flexing Monday night games as has been advocated. With TV paying that much of the freight, might be worth it to the NFL to screw every team's ticket-holders once every couple of years.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hope they don't flex Monday night. For one thing, I think SNF is better on every level and should be treated as such. And I think it does get a little silly to start flexing multiple games late in the season. Heck, just say Week 17 times TBA when you release the schedule.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know DirectTV is paying a boatload for the Sunday ticket package, but the NFL needs to stream every game to mobile devices. They're going to miss out on a ton of revenue if they don't have some provision in the next broadcasting deal to allow streaming to iPads and other mobile devices.

Verizon customers can stream Red Zone right now, but an NFL mobile iPad app streaming all the games would be a direct source of revenue for the league without having to share the profits with a broadcast partner.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN previously signed its contract extension and there was no flex scheduling involved.

This contract could produce flex scheduling earlier on Sunday night than now (Week 11). And the NFL can take games away from CBS and Fox so expect a first-half Thursday night package.

It'd be nice if the league scheduled Thursday games for teams coming off a bye.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One thing they really need to do with scheduling is not have one team that is coming off a bye or a Thursday night game play against a team coming off a Monday night game. Seems quite unfair to give one team a short week to prepare and their opponent and extra few days or even an extra week.

The Giants and Saints both handled that situation well this week, but it wasn't exactly fair to them.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can get Sunday Ticket mobile and it's available to anyone who can't get DirecTV. I don't know what DirecTV's process is to check to see if you can't put up a dish, though.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Not close enough to the situation, because I don't cover the NFL -- but I wonder if the NFLPA knew this when negotiating the recent CBA. It took less of the percentage, but seemed to believe that the overall revenue numbers would be higher.

This would validate that thinking.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't you need to be able to face your dish south to get service?

I remember that when I moved to Houston, I wanted to get the MLB Extra Innings Package, and screwed up by renting an apartment that faced north.

I wonder if something as simple as that would allow you to get the mobile product. And are they really going to come to your house/apartment to verify?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure they took that into account but I don't know that they would have even needed inside info. It has been pretty well telegraphed that football TV money was going way up. Advertisers love it for two reasons: In the fragmented TV universe, it's about the only programming whose ratings go up; and more important, it's the last thing people watch live, i.e. not skipping through commercials.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Agreed. I like the SNF presentation a lot better, just more crisp. And to whoever said the NFL's secret formula is having games on because nothing else is on -- that was genius. The NFL has taken over an entire DAY for many decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted