1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL breaking news reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AJC SEC, Aug 9, 2017.

1. AJC SEC

AJC SEC Member

Cox Media Group launched a new NFL website last summer, and we're looking for part-time reporters for breaking news coverage this season. You can live remotely.

We need reporters who understand how to aggregate news, develop sources, and have the ability mix in the elements of opinion, analysis and humor. We’re looking for energetic writers with an endless stream of fresh ideas for feature content.

If you're interested, please do two things: Please email a copy of your resume and variety of 10 clips (features/enterprise, breaking news and multi-media) to SECBloggers@gmail.com. The official job posting is here under Multi-Media Reporters: Search Jobs at Cox Companies

2. Jovan Alford

Jovan Alford New Member

How long does it usually take to hear back in regards to this position?

3. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Please pause and think about your short-term and long-term goals before you apply for this job. I know someone who's worked at All22, the site in question, since around its inception last year. It's much different than Cox's other properties, Land of 10 and SEC Country. For those college sites, they have credentials to things like media days... for All22, not only is the job purely aggregation, they focus most of their resources on just four teams, the Broncos, Steelers, Patriots and Cowboys. More importantly, content aggregation is not going to look so great on your resume when you want to apply for a full-time job somewhere else in a year or two and you have no original reporting experience. Thanks for reading.

Ice9 and GBNF like this.
  4. Leonard Adams

Leonard Adams New Member

Same here. I ditto everything you just wrote, Adam94. I knew someone who worked for them. It's not at all what it's cracked up to be. They laid off the guy within a month after hiring him to cover the Broncos.

So long as they post one of their NFL jobs on this board, I will be here to let those interested at least have a buyer beware about working for All22.

Adam94 likes this.
  5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

OK so how are you supposed to "develop sources" if you're living remote and aggregating news all day? Where do they think breaking news comes from, a fairy?

Sports Barf likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the NFL keeps breaking news reporters, the media should start sending sports reporters instead.

Harder to break (usually cuz they're thicker).

Draft saved Draft deleted