1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL bans alochol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 31, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I laughed (felt pity for you) when he took your position. But, no, that's not my argument. It's not about MLB vs. NFL or bars vs. parking lots. I think all big-time (collegiate and professional) leagues should do more to control people who get in their cars and drive drunk. The only places leagues can control are its stadiums and parking lots. Bars and restaurants are private establishments that need to be controlled by their owners.

I can deal with a few drunks around me at games and I can call over security if one of them gets out of hand. I'm far more concerned about drunks who might get in a car and kill or maim someone, like the guy at Giants Stadium who got into his car and proceeded to paralyze a girl in a car wreck. He had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If they're smart, they will -- it's either that, or bring in the riot police. Their call. I honestly don't know how much in-stadium sales will matter, though, since more than a few people will probably start before they even get to the stadium. And the lots will open at, lemme think, 3:30 or thereabouts. Just in time to get an early start on Happy Hour.

I was just a kid back then, but I still remember the chaos brought on by MNF's first visit to Orchard Park. Cosell swore he'd never be back. Not sure things have gotten any better since then...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed, cranberry, though I think the NFL is moving in the right direction if they ever want to take that next step. I figure the NFL can't sell what you're talking about without first implementing that to its own employees, for fear of looking like hypocrites to NFL fans.

Or they could but just don't have an interest in doing so, which would be a shame.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I doubt we really disagree on anything but the degree to which the NFL is being genuine. It just smacks of more positioning by their crack PR guys. The goal here wasn't to do "the right thing" as much as it was using an easy win situation to further position their new young commissioner as a tough guy.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

HypoCrites.

This is the league that demands first-class alcohol parties for its people at Super Bowls.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Goodell is slowly shedding away the anonymity of former NFL heads who didn't listen to the knee jerk reactionary gripes of the Chris Russo's of the world and is now bending over to these whiners like he's David Stern.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I am all for this band. But this is something that the NFL can control?

NFL players, team executives drinking on the plane.... NO.
    Drinking in the locker room YEAH
    Drinking in suites YES
    team functions (Games, press conferences, parties??? What is a team function?) YES/NO
    Guests (Paying costumers? or a players friends, wife, kids etc)YES/NO

But fans and other people that really need to get drunk will get drunk. Kind of when you wanted to drink under age or smoke a joint. You will always find a way to get what you want. But the big G does have a point and I do think everyone would enjoy the game a lot more if you did not have the drunk people at the game. But it would also end the team spirit that you get at games because of the drinking....

But on a financial note:

I thought that Coors Light was a big time sponsor of the NFL and all of its fuctions. This ban would probably make them angry as a company...yes...no...? If they pull the ads or whatever what would that do to the league and maybe this ban would give the UFL a chance? ;D ::)

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

If they can't serve it, can't a player still bring a case of beer or a 750 of liqour onto the plane? Just wondering.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I can't believe no one has asked the real question: What about postgame beer in the press box?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've never seen beer in a press box. That's a new one to me.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Could thing I had a beer on the Super Bowl shuttle bus back in January while the getting was good.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The interesting question is if you didn't serve alochol (sorry, couldn't resist) at an NFL game, how much attendance would you lose? You just know there'd be some people saying "well, if I can't drink, I'm not going!"

I don't think any league wants to find out that answer, which is why you won't see that large a crackdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted