1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL bans alochol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 31, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I haven't been to an NFL game in years, so maybe someone can tell me when they shut down beer sales at games. For MLB it's the seventh inning stretch, right? (Not a drinker here.)

You might call it pandering, which it might be. But telling people not to drink at work ... well, Selig and MLB hasn't exactly taken that stance yet. Neither have other leagues, so if that makes the NFL the only one, you could call it bold.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

After the third quarter.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The end of halftime at Ralph Wilson Stadium... but only in the cheap seats. The bars stay open through the end of the game in the clubs/suites.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I gave up alochol at the same time Albert Pujolos did.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's much more bold NOT to overreact. Selig, to his credit, understood that keeping a case of beer in the clubhouse wasn't the problem. Goodell is being opportunistic, going for good press by showing how strong he is over a non-issue that he has no trouble controlling.

More drunken fans drive away from stadiums in the first 15 minutes after every game than the total of NFL personnel leaving a stadium drunk over the past 30 years.

Good for Goodell. He made himself look tough with a tough solution to a non problem.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First, the "bold" comment wasn't only about this policy, but about the character policy. That's gutsy. Yeah, the union is no match for the commish's word, I understand that, but it's still gutsy because he knows it won't be popular with everyone.

As for drunk fans, you don't need them to tailgate in an NFL parking lot to get bombed before games. When I hit Wrigley two years ago, a saw fans at Murphy's and all the other bars in the area getting hammered before they went into the stadium. Ditto last summer when I hit Fenway and saw the same at Cask and Flaggin and other bars before walking across the bridge for the game. Football fans aren't the only one who like to get drunk before games.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

True enough. If you enjoy watching drunken, slobbering idiots, few better places than the parking lot of an NFL stadium... and that's BEFORE the game. It gets worse later on.

Buffalo gets their first Monday Night game in over ten years next October. Give people all day to drink, then put 'em on national TV? I can hardly wait. The News will have to add a special section for the arrest reports.

Oz, you have a point: football fans don't hold a patent on pre-game drinking. However, I doubt many baseball fans pull into a parking spot five hours before the game begins, with not much to do BUT drink.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course, when I did go to NFL games years ago with friends, I drove because I don't drink. While I know some people will use bad judgment, I don't believe for a second that we were the only group to use good judgment.

Yeah, people will drink. I would hope those groups had at least one person (like me) who didn't for the post-game drive.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The media loves a crackdown. The fans love a crackdown. So with whom isn't it popular? Pacman Jones?

The concern is getting in a car and driving drunk AFTER games. What the NFL can do is control alcohol in its stadiums and in its parking lots. That would be unpopular and gutsy.

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Excellent move from Roger G., he is really turning into a very good commissioner. Bud Selig could learn a thing or two from the new kid on the block. Now only if they could some how give those veterans a better pension and eliminate the Oakland Raiders, the world in the NFL would be just peachy.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So you're OK with people getting drunk before baseball games because it's in bars, but not with people getting drunk before football games in the parking lot because it's NFL property? That's what your argument sounds like.

p.s. I must be wrong, because indiansnetwork agrees with me. My apologies, cranberry. You're right. :-[

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Will the Bills ban beer in the stadium for Monday night games like they used to?

Draft saved Draft deleted