1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL and military jingoism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Fox Sports and Fox News weren't linked, then O'Reilly's interview with Obama wouldn't have been the carrot luring everyone to the pregame show.

Edit: Same thing would apply to CBS, NBC and ABC. But none of them specializes in AMERICA FUCK YEAH quite like Fox.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They're both Fox products, but they're separate operations. Roger Ailes isn't telling the people who run Fox Sports how to produce the Super Bowl. You know as well as I do that the uber patriotic stuff isn't limited to Fox for events like the Super Bowl.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, but we did get a hearty dose of it during the World Series, played in Texas, completed the day before Election Day, televised live on Fox.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, there is no such thing as separate operations. True of any network, but particularly relevant when said network has an obvious slant like Fox. Not trying to stir shit up with you, just stating what I believe to be absolutely true.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic, but I'm not a big fan of the Declaration of Independence reading.

I tuned in for a football game and maybe a little entertainment, not a civics lesson.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, Uncle Rupert is.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So Fox tries to slant its coverage of major sporting events to appeal to only a certain segment of the population? They're being overtly political, just hoping millions of people will get pissed off and not watch? Is that the strategy you believe is discussed between Fox Sports executives and their overlords on the news side?

Also, did you like the Obama pre game interview this year on Fox less than the Obama pre game interview last year on CBS?

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

How did featuring an ego-maniacal blowhard blatantly disrespecting the president to his face fit in with the whole over the top patriotism theme?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You managed to read my entire post and miss the part where I noted there is no such thing as separate operations when it comes to a network and the Super Bowl.

And yes. Fox has a proven track record of AMERICA FUCK YEAH, and using large platforms as a means to spread that message. I know how you lean, and that Fox News Channel is always no further away than a click of the "previous" button on your remote, but I figured you could still acknowledge what was right in front of you.

Don't be a dick. You're better than that.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If the NFL really loved the military it would give them free advertising spots during the game.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Which explains the number of pictures of the Bushes at the World Series vs. those of Barbara Boxer and Gavin Newsom in that liberul hotbed of San Francisco. But I digress ...

Yes, the patriotic display went over the top, with that essay read by Michael Douglas being the last straw for me. As I stated on another thread, it's almost like the leagues are competing which one can be most patriotic, to a point where it stops being a show of respect and becomes a game of "can you top this?" Yes, Bud Selig started it with "God Bless America," but the Super Bowl was not the height of exploitation. Th at "honor" belongs to thefamily reunions"during halftime of the BCS title game. And, of course, Herbie, it was sponsored by Brent Mussburger's favorite brand of tortilla chips.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the most distasteful thing about the deal is the lack of dignity involved in these tributes. Letting the Medal of Honor winner be saluted by the crowd is fine. Flyovers are fine. Everybody likes noisy, fast machines. But portraying the NFL as an equal in American life to the Declaration of Independence or military service or the rest of our history is an insult not just to the military, but all of us. America could get along without the NFL just fine. The owners are ready to prove that next fall.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's O'Really the Pinhead: craves respect, but won't give it, when it suits him.

Draft saved Draft deleted